Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on "Speed Triple" and GoPro, but did not see anything.

This post is to ask about people shooting video while riding. Yes, I know, 99.9% of the video would be throw-away, but every once it a while, there might be something interesting. That said:

If people are using a GoPro camera, where to mount on a Speedy? I would think the handlebars would not be good, but I never tried it.

Why do people spend the money on a GoPro, then everyone has a cell phone with a video camera?

I do have a tank bag, and was thinking of just figuring out how to mount to the front of that.

Finally, in some states, I'm told that it's no longer legal for automobile drivers to use cell phone holders that allow the driver to see the screen while driving (the person who told me that lives in New York State). Has anyone ever been written up for this on a motorcycle?

All thoughts appreciated.

Randy
'16 Speed Triple

·
Registered
83 Posts
With a proper GoPro kit you can mount the camera anywhere really.

I would avoid putting it on any part of the bike thats 'Solid' like the frame, as the vibrations pass easily to the camera.

I know one muppet that wanted the front wheel in view so mounted it to the bottom of his forks.... He couldn't understand why his camera was destroyed ... Funny.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Interesting you mention the camera on our phones as it seems whenever I start having fun i'll notice my phone camera app has turned itself on??? It's not recording just viewing and I have to take a glove off with my teeth to turn it off, it happens so much i'm getting paranoid!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Depends also on what viewing perspective you want. I have" go pro'd" quite a few desert races I have done. Always mounted the camera on my helmet. This always gave the perspective of you're seeing what the rider sees. You can see the front of the bike -- handle bars and front fender and everything ahead of the bike. The weird thing is when watching the video, the camera is perfectly still, and all the movement shows up in the bike.

With respect to recording street rides, my son has a go pro mount on the back fender of his Thruxton, facing rearward. We put my go pro on it and filmed me chasing him through the mountain roads on my Sprint. It actually turned out really well. Very little bumping or jarring in the video. So, I think you could mount a go pro fixed on the bike and it would work well. But remember, the go pro was built as an action camera, and probably has technology built in to account for bumps and jarring. I don't know if even the top cell phone cameras would provide as good a result.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A couple other thoughts. The go pro has a very wide angle lens. Much wider than any cell phone camera I've seen. So, you'll get a different field of view with one vs the other. And, the go pro mounts are attached with 2 sided tape. If you get yourself a high quality roll of 2 sided tape, you can experiment with camera placement very easily.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The best position I found was with the camera on the tank using a suction cup mount. This mount was so strong I worried at first about it coming off, but it could only ever be released using the lever mechanism. The arm on the mount raised the camera high enough to give a great view of the road ahead including the bikes clocks. I see the OP uses a tank bag so this may not be for him - just saying this was the best for me.
I mounted my camera in a few places on the bike, handlebars, forks, rear sub-frame and tank, but never found it suffered with vibration issues - in fact the picture was better than I could have imagined.
Here's a link to a similar mount.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suction-Cup-Mount-Adapter-Tripod-Camera-Accessories-For-Gopro-Hero-3-3-2-1-UK/172891858227?epid=12007152318&hash=item2841286533:g:pBMAAOSw3GtZzanO

Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts