Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Does anyone know how to get the danper rod bolt off. if i need the special tool any clue how i can get one. Cheers Pete

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I used one of these..

Impact wrench, works V well....you could pop down your local shop and ask them to do it that way..?

The difficult way is to turn the fork upside down, press down as hard as you can, this exerts pressure onto the damper cartridge so you can turn the hex key in the bottom of the slider....

If you can I would stick with plan A though ;-)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I welded a 30mm nut to the end of a tube per the Haynes manual. I also ground the nut completely flat on the end so it will fully seat in the hex in the end of the damper rod which isn't very deep to begin with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. thing is ive already taken it apart.

The nut on a tube must be hollow then to fit over the damper rod.

Ill give it ago as soon as i can find a strong bit of hollow tube.

Thanks to all

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Pete..you can see the top of the damper rod on this page of my website....you'll have to scroll down a bit ;-)

http://mottleybiker.com/page24.htm

The adjustable forks you have on the Speed Triple don't have a hex to place a nut into like the unadjustable ones.. there may be a couple of flat sides in there you'll have to have a peer down there with a maglite or something. Triumph make a tool for it but I've never seen one ??

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
After reading Mot's last post, I think that we have terminology confusion going on here. The tool that I mentioned is for the damper ROD front fork. This is the non-adjustable fork.

The adjustable fork has a damper CARTRIDGE, then you compress the fork to remove the nut or use Mot's NASCAR lug wrench. I use an air powered version of the same thing.

We don't have any T3 Speed Triples around here so I didn't know which front end was on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haynes

After reading Mot's last post, I think that we have terminology confusion going on here. The tool that I mentioned is for the damper ROD front fork. This is the non-adjustable fork.

The adjustable fork has a damper CARTRIDGE, then you compress the fork to remove the nut or use Mot's NASCAR lug wrench. I use an air powered version of the same thing.

We don't have any T3 Speed Triples around here so I didn't know which front end was on it.
Thanks for all your help, Ive got the nut off now but my forks dont look like anything in the manual. i know they have a seperate bit for Speedtriples but the damper, bushes and damper spring on mine are nothing like the manual.
Ive at least got another fork to refer to and see how this one goes back together.
Nothings ever simple is it?
Maybe thats what you get from an Italian import!

Thanks for your help...

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
On the adjustable forks there is a small square recess. I bought the tool from Bike Bandit, one end is the square the other is the 30mm hex for non adjustable forks. Without the tool, air wrench is probably the best bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts