Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 2011 S3 with ABS one month ago.

While riding it I experience some strange behaviour from the front brakes when braking hard. It isn't the ABS which cuts in but just before that happens it feels like the brake lever pushes back in a non-regular way and the brakes force decreases.

The dealer checked the runout of the discs and the front left disc has a runout of 0.2mm. They're going to replace that one.

But I'm not sure yet if that is the solution.

Does anybody else experience this?

It also tested the 'standard' S3 without ABS and with that one you can make rolling stoppies with little effort using only two fingers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody with the same braking behaviour of the bike?

In the meantime I've got new discs and pads, did some 'braking in' for 300 km and.... still not braking constantly when braking hard.
Going to try if it's better when I try it without the ABS fuses today.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
You guys with the 2011s are the test bed ,so to speak, on this site.
The knowledge base here is 99% regarding the older bikes.
You have to understand that there are 10-15 of the 2011s( here ) to a couple hundred active members ( totally a guess ) with 05-10 1050s and a a hundred or so active 955/509 guys and gals . We do not know a lot about your ABS yet.
or about the flux capacitor attached to your air box.
It is going to take time to work out all the kinks and come up with "better than the dealer " solutiuons here.
The only way I can think of to have "progress" on trouble shooting the 2011 would be to buy one for DEcosse, and only then will you get some of the tech gremlins worked out .

·
Registered
285 Posts
You have to understand that there are 10-15 of the 2011s( here ) to a couple hundred active members ( totally a guess ) with 05-10 1050s and a a hundred or so active 955/509 guys and gals . We do not know a lot about your ABS yet.
It is going to take time to work out all the kinks and come up with "better than the dealer " solutiuons here.
The only way I can think of to have "progress" on trouble shooting the 2011 would be to buy one for DEcosse, and only then will you get some of the tech gremlins worked out .
You know whats funny, I bought the official Service Manual to assist my with installing my Pro Oiler. So the first thing I did was to take a look at the wiring schematic. It doesn't look at all like my bike :D

My ABS '11 gets its speed from the ABS rear wheel sensor where in the wiring diagram it says it has a seperate Speed Sensor, which isn't there :p

Gotta Love Triumph!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a 2011 S3 with ABS one month ago.

While riding it I experience some strange behaviour from the front brakes when braking hard. It isn't the ABS which cuts in but just before that happens it feels like the brake lever pushes back in a non-regular way and the brakes force decreases.

The dealer checked the runout of the discs and the front left disc has a runout of 0.2mm. They're going to replace that one.

But I'm not sure yet if that is the solution.

Does anybody else experience this?

It also tested the 'standard' S3 without ABS and with that one you can make rolling stoppies with little effort using only two fingers.
This is how the dealer and my owners manual explain the intended operation. They say it will kick back and may even seem to decrease.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You know whats funny, I bought the official Service Manual to assist my with installing my Pro Oiler. So the first thing I did was to take a look at the wiring schematic. It doesn't look at all like my bike :D

My ABS '11 gets its speed from the ABS rear wheel sensor where in the wiring diagram it says it has a seperate Speed Sensor, which isn't there :p

Gotta Love Triumph!
Apples and oranges, maybe.

Although not unheard of, such a major schematic error would not go uncorrected, so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Triumph.

Since you did not supply specific info, but you reference installing an oiler, I'm wondering if you have confused the Road/Vehicle Speed Sensor with the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors? And, BTW, your ABS gets "its (sic) speed" from the front as well as the rear wheel sensor.

I do not have a 2011 schematic to reference, so maybe someone could take a look at one and determine which schematic key number identifies the Vehicle Speed Sensor? For example, that particular sensor is Key Number 2 in the 06 manual schematic.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Apples and oranges, maybe.

Although not unheard of, such a major schematic error would not go uncorrected, so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Triumph.

Since you did not supply specific info, but you reference installing an oiler, I'm wondering if you have confused the Road/Vehicle Speed Sensor with the ABS Wheel Speed Sensors? And, BTW, your ABS gets "its (sic) speed" from the front as well as the rear wheel sensor.

I do not have a 2011 schematic to reference, so maybe someone could take a look at one and determine which schematic key number identifies the Vehicle Speed Sensor? For example, that particular sensor is Key Number 2 in the 06 manual schematic.
My ABS Speedie has NO speed sensor!! I can send you a picture to prove it ;) Also worked my way through the service manual and fault codes where it mentions something this:

P0500: Rear Wheel speed sensor malfunction - motorcycles without a vehicle speed sensor.

Lucky me :) And the only sensor on the rear wheel is the ABS sensor. Also the pink wire going to the ECU for speed...... isn't there :D Color wiring for the instrument panel.... different.

I probably received an early Service manual where I need an updated one???

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't quite understand the comments here, my 11 has a rear wheel sensor, i have not looked but there should be a reference road speed sensor picking up gearbox output shaft sped and a front wheel speed sensor.

Output shaft sensor should act as the reference signal.

Anyway, i have come from a VFR VTEC with ABS, i have to say that the VFR cut in far less often, but was more dramatic when it did. The S3 cuts in very often, but the effects are more subtle. The VFR also had linked brakes and were generally very effective.

I am not blown away by the ABS on the 11 S3, but i would rather have it than not.

0.2mm runout is going to be difficult to measure on a floating disc, do workshops remove the disc and use feeler gauges?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a '11 speedie with ABS...I've made a post on here about a month ago when I did some testing in the dry & wet......I have no issues with mine, in fact they feel like regular sport bike brakes until you engage the abs...quite confidence inspiring actually.
Sorry that doesn't help your case much...but I figured I'd chime in since I have an abs model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you're correct about the 'test bed', We've also got stainless steel heat shields on the exhaust system that rust. :D ( :( )

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a strange experience with my 2011 ABS. I was belting along towards some traffic lights which changed from green to amber. Split second decision - decided to brake hard.( I only ever use the front brake btw.) The front end dived and I swear I heard a screech and then suddenly the brakes just let go, as if I had released the brake lever, and I sailed straight through the red light! Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Looking for the new 2011 S3 I tested it this spring here in Germany and found some problems on ABS.

In Germany unfortunately nobody is interested in buying a used bike without ABS if the model is available with ABS. So buying a S3 without ABS would mean driving it for very long time and mileage to avoid losing to much money. Even if I think I do not really need ABS on the S3 I will go for one with ABS.

However, this is introduction only. During the test ride I experienced that:
- the ABS is activitated very early when braking. Yes, I forced it to 100% on an empty road and from ca. 60 miles/hr to see how it works.
- there is only very slight vibration in the lever(?) from the ABS when regulating pressure.
Except the early starting ABS a really great bike to ride.

Knowing about trouble of previous updates on the S3 with brakes I decided to wait a little before buying one.

In the meantime the following problems are frequently posted in forums here in Germany:
- too early activation of ABS function (compared to ABS on other bikes like Honda, Suzuki or BMW it starts far before the full stopping of the front wheel)
- loss of pressure in the early braking phase with no brake function for some footage (as described in the thread). Dealers & Triumph Germany seem to be telling customers no probs had been reported :Not again.
- glass of the front lights braking from tension in the glass (goes on warranty)
- oil tubes will be replaced on some models (Triumph is calling them back to the dealers)
- optional spoiler under the engine might face some minor deformations from heat.

Regards,
TripleGermany

·
Registered
111 Posts
Two things have contributed to my ABS cutting in too early:

1) Standard damper settings are way too stiff for fast street use, tyre looses contact on bumpy surfaces and this activates the ABS.

2) If you have K3 Racetecs, they need a lot of warming up, if you hammer the brakes when the tyre is cold, it cannot cope.

I think Triumph need to update the ABS software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello,

Looking for the new 2011 S3 I tested it this spring here in Germany and found some problems on ABS.

In Germany unfortunately nobody is interested in buying a used bike without ABS if the model is available with ABS. So buying a S3 without ABS would mean driving it for very long time and mileage to avoid losing to much money. Even if I think I do not really need ABS on the S3 I will go for one with ABS.

However, this is introduction only. During the test ride I experienced that:
- the ABS is activitated very early when braking. Yes, I forced it to 100% on an empty road and from ca. 60 miles/hr to see how it works.
- there is only very slight vibration in the lever(?) from the ABS when regulating pressure.
Except the early starting ABS a really great bike to ride.

Knowing about trouble of previous updates on the S3 with brakes I decided to wait a little before buying one.

In the meantime the following problems are frequently posted in forums here in Germany:
- too early activation of ABS function (compared to ABS on other bikes like Honda, Suzuki or BMW it starts far before the full stopping of the front wheel)
- loss of pressure in the early braking phase with no brake function for some footage (as described in the thread). Dealers & Triumph Germany seem to be telling customers no probs had been reported :Not again.
- glass of the front lights braking from tension in the glass (goes on warranty)
- oil tubes will be replaced on some models (Triumph is calling them back to the dealers)
- optional spoiler under the engine might face some minor deformations from heat.

Regards,
TripleGermany
That's about what I mean about the ABS.
At first when I came charging onto a corner and wanted to brake hard, it just let go of the braking force. That's a bit scary...

I don't know if it contributed to the reduce of the problem but as
Reggub mentioned, the original suspension settings are way off.
The front is way to hard (damping and spring preload). So if you brake hard, the front won't dive and as a result of weight distribution the rear will want to lift easily. As the ABS notices the change in rear wheel speed, it thinks you are about to flip the bike over and it will let go of the front brake.
Normal suspension settings of the front include a 7 turns preload of the front spring. Reducing it to 1 turn helps a lot, changing the damping settings to 1.75 open for both compression an rebound also help.
The rear needs a bit more damping, at the moment I'm on half a turn open for both rebound and compression. The problem is that is takes a while for the damper to wear in. So as the mileage increases, the damper will lose damping forces a bit, resulting in to little damping als slow damper movements. A problem is that when you try to compensate this by adjusting it, the low speed damping is ok (no more 'bumping' it while riding of a speed bump) but the high velocities are over damped.
This makes the bike much more stable and gives you much more confidence.
You can see the bike starts to shake it's head in some corners on the youtube video of the 'hot lap' at the speed triple introduction on the Ascari track.
You also sometimes notice it on the open roads and when you accelelerate out of corners with an uneven surface.
After changing the suspension settings I never had this anymore.

·
Registered
500 Posts
question:is this the same setup/unit that is on the Sprint & Tiger or a different one?maybe the guys on the Sprint/Tiger forum would have some info ,if so, as has been on those bikes for a couple of years?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had my speedy over 6 weeks now and just been to look at mine after reading your comment. It has a sensor on the front which runs up the left front leg. the rear sensor is a little more closed and runs along the centre of the swing arm almost hidden. Defo has two speed sensors and they won't do stoppies abs won't allow the rear wheel to fully rise. You can on the new triple R as the ABS is switchable. As for stopping I can only feel the pulsing common with ABS on all vehicles. I have a friend with a Suzi Bandit 1200 he's had it ten years knows it inside out and he's mortified no matter how hard he tries I can out brake him by a fairly large margin. I'm sold on it as I wasn't previous. Now I have used it to the max I won't have a bike without it. It's a no brainer really.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts