Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am in the process of doing some maintenance on my S3 and would like your input.

I want to order a new chain and sprockets. Think I will stick with the 530 chain and go with a DiD 530 ZVMX. The sprockets I need some input on.

Here are my gearing options.

18/42= .428 Stock
18/43= .418 2.3% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration
18/45= .400 6.5% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration

19/42= .452 5.6% ↑ Top speed ↓ Tq/Acceleration
19/43= .441 3% ↑ Top speed ↓ Tq/Acceleration
19/45= .422 1.4% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration

17/42= .404 5.6% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration
17/43= .395 7.7% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration
17/45= .377 11% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration

16/42= .380 11% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration
16/43= .372 13% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration
16/45= .355 17% ↓ Top speed ↑ Tq/Acceleration

I think that is every option I have for gearing.

So what direction do you guys think I should go? Whats are you all running? Anyone find a good medium?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
May be an idea to fill out your bike model etc, then everyone will know exactly what bike they're dealing with.

Oh and welcome!

Good choice on chain, but can't help on gearing as I liked stock.

Just fitted a JT Z1R chain to my 1290, so interested to see how that holds up. Says it's the same tensile strength as the ZVMX, but was $70 from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Thats a very subjective question ! It just depends what you want in the end ?? more acceleration .... or higher cruising speed at less rev's...as there are NO other options. There's is always price to pay when you start messing with gearing !
Personally, I think Triumph have nailed it across the board on a Std machine with both the Gear Box ratio's & the Sprocket ratio's. Thats the beauty to me with the spread Torque that 1050 Motor has got ...Std it just pulls like a Train throughout the whole range what ever gear your in !!!!!! how can you better that & why would you try ? O yeh no matter ...stick with 530 X Ring chain & beware different sprocket sizes either end can effect clearances too that are needed in the drive train run . Good luck either way. Lee

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Dropping below 18T front is ill advised .
The chain will come too low over the swingarm and wear out the rubbing strip prematurely .
I suggest you find what it is you want to do with the bike and gear for that .

I have tried every combo of 17,18,19 front and 42,43,45 rear .
Currently 19/45 ( basicly stock ) but not running stock HP . I had TONs of fun with 17/45 but the swingarm wear and fuel mileage sucked .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the 19/45? Looks like its very close to stock but shouldn't it be easier on the chain?

I honestly don't want to do anything drastic. Ideally I would like to be in the range of 50MPG. But I can only manage 48 MPG. Which a taller gearing should fix easily. But I don't think I want to go that route.

Seems the 18/43 and 19/45 would be the smallest changes. Where as the 18/45 would give me more acceleration.

Heck, even a stock gearing I wouldn't mind. I am honestly, just checking to see if anyone has come up with a good alternative to the stock gearing.

I would like to order my stuff soon. So I have been checking in on here to see if anyone else has anything to say.

The sprockets and chain is costing about $250. So I am just double checking on here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O right, if changing the front sprocket would mess up the speedo I might just stick with the 18 front and ether do a 42, 43, or 45 rear.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
No matter the change you make you will have to adjust the speedo. Keeping the front sprocket stock is not a factor overall. Final drive is. Tuneecu easily fixes the speedo.
That said, the factory speedo has a 7% error built in but the odo is accurate with the Speed reading high. If you take the 7% out the odo will never read correctly. If you put the error back in over your changes then the odo will be right.
I picked all my stuff up from supersprox, purchased as a front rear and chain kit the whole shebang is guaranteed for life. Also the 45t stealth rear sprocket looks bad a$$.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be order from Sprocketcenter.com

I will be getting the SuperLite Sprockets. The Supersprox do look cool but cost allot more.
From what I have heard the Superlites are really good. Strong and light.

With a "basic chain" I would be at $300 for the Supersprox
With the "Premium" ZVMX chain and Superlite sprockets I am only at $250.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Like many others here I've run a few combinations, but have come back to the 18T - 43T set up. This gives a bit better acceleration with a slight drop in top speed (how often do you need 140mph +?). Never liked going lower on the front - chain can rub on the swingarm as mentioned, but also has a tighter run on that sprocket which could mean more wear.

Rob.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When it's time to change out my '06 (28,000 miles on factory chain and still going.....) I'll get a 19/45 combo to basically maintain factory gearing. I'll also buy an additional 18t front sprocket so I can swap to and from that feel easily (don't need to change chain length just moving 1 tooth in the front).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to just stick with the 18/42 for now with the DiD ZVMX 530 chain.

I am actually only changing them because I think mine are bad.

I was going to ask this separately but every now and than I get a clunk when I let the clutch out.

It doesn't do it while I am at speed or acceleration and any other point other than from a dead stop, Doesn't do it under decel.

It had me rather concerned. But than it would just go away.

I also have a issue with a huge neutral spot in between 1st and 2nd. Sounds like that's actually rather normal for these bikes.
Hasent really bothered me too much other than the occasions where I am accelerating hard in first and shifting up into second.
It some times jumps out of gear. And If I pull the clutch in and shift it back into gear it makes a really loud clunk like the gears were not in sinc. That one has me the most worried. I find it I just dont do anything and let the bike coast for a little it shifts back into gear with little back feed.

If it weren't for these little issues I honestly think this bike is just about the best bike made. I have yet to find a suitable replacement. And I have been test riding lots of bikes but they just don't do it for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No matter the change you make you will have to adjust the speedo. Keeping the front sprocket stock is not a factor overall. Final drive is. Tuneecu easily fixes the speedo.
That said, the factory speedo has a 7% error built in but the odo is accurate with the Speed reading high. If you take the 7% out the odo will never read correctly. If you put the error back in over your changes then the odo will be right.
I picked all my stuff up from supersprox, purchased as a front rear and chain kit the whole shebang is guaranteed for life. Also the 45t stealth rear sprocket looks bad a$$.
How can the odometer be accurate if the speedo reads 7% high from the factory? The odo mileage should be off as well.

I tested my speedo by pacing a police cruiser at 70mph (pre arranged so he would set cruise at 70). It was exactly 5.7% off. I went into tuneecu and made it -5.7

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
How can the odometer be accurate if the speedo reads 7% high from the factory? The odo mileage should be off as well.
Because that's just the way it is. I adjusted my 06 speedo for accuracy, but it threw out the already accurate odo. I changed back because having an accurate odo was more important to me.

My 1290 has both odo and speedo out, but to different percentages.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Because that's just the way it is. I adjusted my 06 speedo for accuracy, but it threw out the already accurate odo. I changed back because having an accurate odo was more important to me.

My 1290 has both odo and speedo out, but to different percentages.
Wait, what? the 1290 speedo and odo are off by different amounts? I would appreciate the method you use to evaluate the odo because i've kinda been using the 10% rule when it comes to servicing my bike.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Wait, what? the 1290 speedo and odo are off by different amounts? I would appreciate the method you use to evaluate the odo because i've kinda been using the 10% rule when it comes to servicing my bike.
GPS

Odo worked out to be about 3% out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts