Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to make a deal on an Italian? modded Triumph 1200 Speed Quattro, does any one know the particulars of this bike? I'll try to post photos as soon as I figure out how to do it...

here goes:

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/data/500/thumbs/quattro_2SMALL.JPG
http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/11347/ppuser/13608

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/data/500/thumbs/quattro_agaimSMALL.JPG
http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/11348/ppuser/13608

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Well...there never was an actual Speed Quattro it was always either a proffesional build of a Speed Triple with a 1200 put in it...or a 1200 Daytona or Trophy with a Speed Triple front end put on it...

I'm guessing your is a Trophy because it has black faced dials on it and a non standard headlamp/bracket etc but it could well be a Daytona, it just depends on who modified what & when ?

Two things from the pics are the stock seat has had the riders foam scooped out to lower it and the eccentric rear wheel adjusters have been turned 180 to lower the rear end ( the front has probably been dropped to match ?) so your previous owner was a shorter type of bloke/lady.

The other is the ray gun cans fitted may look cool (a matter of taste ?) but they are not from what I can see supported from the exhaust hanger bolt on the rear foot rest assembly ? if they aren't supported at all I would say that is a bit of a bodge and would need some attention down the line.

The rest is down to the condition of the bike, service history etc etc but you need to keep your eyes open on this one as it is a possible crash repaired bike so take a good look, if it's the right price and your happy go for it, if not I'd walk ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1 for wot mot said.

I'd put my money on a crash repair, looking at the logos, I might be wrong here but I think only black bikes had the hollow Triumph logo, all the rest had a two tone decals. So could be a respray, the colour seems familiar... its not a triple colour but might be factory for the Quads.

The pictures look like a clean bike, but can only really tell the quality in the flesh. Not sure about the Speed Quattro tho! Sounds suspiciously Italian, would be tempted for "Speed Quadro" or "Speed Quadruple"

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
As I recall, the term Speed Quattro was used by the Italian design firm which put together the formative ideas for the Speed Four. The firm did such a nice job on the prototypes Triumph decided to make the Speed Four from the TT. I'm not sure the details since it's a question seldom posed. Looks like an interesting ride nonetheless.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's a dealer special I think

Seems like I saw an article in one of the bike mags a while back discussing an Italy or maybe France connection for settng these bikes up for limited production - just cannot recall where, maybe I'll dig out my back issues and scan through them. I think it was a Daytona spec bike made naked with rayguns added on for flair(?) and custom paint/lights etc...

I was wondering about a value on it to offer my Dunstall Norton in a trade, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
its not a triple colour but might be factory for the Quads.
Looks like a Trophy color to me - my bet is its a rebuilt Trophy. The mufflers are called "ray guns" and were a popular accessory for Meriden Triumphs

·
Registered
4 Posts
There was two Speed Quattro's created by US dealership back in 95-96 and I got one of them and just recently bringing it back to life. It was created in Virginia then sold to San Diego, then to SoCal Norton President and now I've got it. One of UK dealer called Daytona also use to offer conversion for Daytona 1200 owners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts