Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a trackday on a stockish 03 with 1550 miles on it.
Before the trackday, I put in new fork oil and raised my forks 6.5mm's in the triples. In my previous life, I was an expert roadracer with Wera.

I was on the stock original tires

The good:
Handling was spot on. the old tires heated up quickly and really worked fairly well. I was never a bridgestone fan and was pleasantly surprised.

Motor was very strong out of corners but people really were not kidding about how flat this bike gets at the top of the RPM range. It is a very slow 600. I had identical top speeds on my superbike FZR 400's.

Brakes were strong throughout the day, no problems there.

The bad:

Clutch on this bike sucks. I would suggest stronger clutch springs. I upshifted with and without the clutch and it was very clunky with long delays.

The lack of speed thing

Overall, a great bike for the price. I rang its neck all day and it kept on going.

Thanks for looking!
Ed

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Pinballer - Did you change the engine oil? Old oil may have affected the gearchange.

Sounds like you had fun :-D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pinballer is right on the money - My Speed Four track day went the same way.

The S4 stops and turns like the best race bikes I've ridden, and the flat torque curve from 8k to redline makes it very easy to get on the gas early, no matter what line you're on.

Upshifting is a disappointment - clunky and imprecise, it makes me consider each upshift with a backup plan... do I have time to do this twice in case it doesn't go into gear on the first try?

...and there is no "hit" on the top end, no rush of acceleration, it's like riding a twin. A mild twin.

Still, the handling, braking and easy early application of throttle make it very friendly on a tighter track - enough so I could fly past all the other street bikes I encountered, and some of the race bikes too.

Over all, the S4 is a very fun, very easy track day bike.

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Once the transmission is completely broken in, it works a lot better. Only issue is the number of miles it takes. My TT600 started shifting like a different bike at 9300 miles. TT600 cams give more of a top end hit, and bodywork helps, too. My 2001 TT600, with the mildest of the various cams Triumph put into TT600s, managed an indicated 155 and had no problems pulling away from various SV650s. A Speed 4 has better lower torque characteristics, but TT600 cams make for more top end. Neither one is going to set the world on fire as a track bike, but both are a whole lot of fun on or off the track as long as you recognize their limitations.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil is AMSOIL 10W-40

I could not find the Mobil1 Racing 4t 15W-50, so it could be that. I have had Yamahas that hated AMSOIL and Hondas that loved it.

BTW, S4 is for sale: $3000 if I can get it gome this weekend.
Located near York PA.

The track was Summit Point in WV. I love that place but has a long straight. I raced my Aprilia RS250 there and did ok but that straight kills the lower hp stuff.

[ This message was edited by: Pinballer on 2007-05-17 11:29 ]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and if you are inexperienced at the track, leave the geometry stock at first. 6.5mm is a bit aggressive.

The stock setup leaves plenty of room for error. I tend to like my bikes to turn quickly but it takes the stability away and the front and rear tires are chewed to and beyond the edges with no room for extra lean.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2007-05-17 11:36, Pinballer wrote:
Oh, and if you are inexperienced at the track, leave the geometry stock at first. 6.5mm is a bit aggressive.

The stock setup leaves plenty of room for error. I tend to like my bikes to turn quickly but it takes the stability away and the front and rear tires are chewed to and beyond the edges with no room for extra lean.
What should the stock measurement be? Measured from where to where? My bike is an import and I have no idea if any changes were made by the first owner (and no simple way of finding out)
Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's certainly not impossible, but it's pretty unlikely the PO would be mucking around with the height of the forks in the trees. The people I know that do that tend to either be racers or riders that started in the 70's when bikes needed all the help they could get!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts