Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolling the forum, there seems to be a ton of issues with the Speed4...

I understand they are used... and being from the VW world, i know about gremlins... However, I don't want to have to deal with them on a bike.

Hows reliability been for the speed 4 vets?
Are the issues posted only one offs?
are there common problems?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have had mine since 2004, and ride it almost every day in conditions from (light) snow to 100 degree temps for nearly 60,000 miles with the only significant problem being that the stator and rectifier had to be replaced a year ago. There are minor issues that you have seen, like the clutch cable rubbing, but they can be solved very simply. If it is well maintained, they will last for a long time.

Zane

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have had mine since 2004, and ride it almost every day in conditions from (light) snow to 100 degree temps for nearly 60,000 miles with the only significant problem being that the stator and rectifier had to be replaced a year ago. There are minor issues that you have seen, like the clutch cable rubbing, but they can be solved very simply. If it is well maintained, they will last for a long time.

Zane
Agreed! Every bike manufacturer has there fair share of Gremlins Triumph is no different, I had the rectifier replaced under warranty, other than that, zero defects and are very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
601 Posts
jumping on to blow the s4 trumpet- had mine since '06 no real issues...infact less than with any other bike i've had.

as mentioned i've experienced the clutch cable rubbing- again a 2 minute fix and its a memory.....

in 21k riding i've had to replace front wheel bearings and a chain rubbing strip...the latter comes as a shock when the dealers tell you how much it costs...but if you are prepared to order a £15 part and spend some time greased up and swearing you'll be ok!!!!

i had some electrical gremlins a while back but after some head scratching it was traced to the sh!tty installation of the alarm at the dealers. so not really s4 related...

a final point is the fuel tank connectors...but mines an 06 so no problems!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with everyone. Most of my "gremlins" are minor. They are easy to work on, assuming you have the right tools. Mine runs great. No real major issues. I also had electrical issues, but that was due to a shoddy wiring job from an aftermarket turn signal. Ride one and you'll forget about any problems you may have.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I think it is hard to get on a forum and conclude that a motorcycle has a 'ton' of issues because there are so many posts about problems. Really, how many people start threads about how they have no problems? Many issues that you have seen are not caused by a properly maintained motorcycle's poor design, but are due to the lack of maintenance or a member buying a motorcycle that was worked on, and messed up, by someone who had no business working on a motorcycle.

I can say that I have never had any real issues with either of the two TT600's I've owned or the Daytona 955i. My IACV is bugging out on the Speed-TT at the moment, but it came off a used engine that I bought which was tipped over and that I wrecked at 90 mph, so I'm not considering that a common thing, as who knows how many quarts of oil pumped through it.

Stampy sums it up well: all manufacturers have problems. The one thing all manufacturers don't have is this website that has such a large population that you hear about all the problems, and where the information is there to correct them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts