Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the R/R on my triumph speed four because I was having some charging issues and the internet said triumph R/Rs tend to suck. I got one aftermarket that was recommended that is a MOSFET-type. Battery seems to charge fine and the new led headlights I installed also working fine. But when you rev the engine, the backlight on the tach will dip right as you let off the throttle. Headlights stay bright, and all the other lights on the dash—the backlight on the speedo and the indicator and warning lights—don’t dim.

Maybe that bulb is on its way out? Could it still be a charging issue even if the headlights and even other lights don’t dim?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
1. What is R/R?
2. I have just aquired a 2003 Speed Four. I see on Ebay an "uprated" alternator harness. I'm trying tho work out if this applicable to my bike, and if it is, is it a worthwhile swap. Are you able to help?
Phil in Sydney

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
R/R = Regulator/Rectifier.
Heavier gauge charging circuit cables are always worthwhile. However I'm not entirely sure how what you're looking at can be an "uprated" alternator harness since the harness from the alternator is hard wired into the stator - unless it means the part from the troublesome 3-pin connector to the reg/rec.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
This on Ebay. 401311681193 Uk. If the harness needed upgrading on the TT, it may have been done by the time the S4 came along. (?) I think the seller doesn't know, based on past transactions.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing available. If your bike still has the older lighter gauge harness then it would be a worthwhile upgrade. As I said earlier, any move to heavier gauge charging circuit wires is a good thing. You'll have to buy it to compare with your own to see if in fact you already have it. It's not expensive and if you don't need it just put it back on ebay. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts