Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever seen a classic cafe-racer style fairing for a speed triple? Thinking it might look really cool. Something easy to put on and take off.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Don`t do it man, it`s a slippery slope. Next thing ya know, you will have turned the worlds best naked bike into a Tiger or a Sprint ST.

:eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make one!

fiberglass is your friend.
WOW!!! I thought this thread was going to roll off the page, then I wake up this morning with 7 responses.:p

Darkhorse.....you ever done anything like that before? Worked with fiberglass before, but wouldn't know how to go about making a mold.

Don`t do it man, it`s a slippery slope. Next thing ya know, you will have turned the worlds best naked bike into a Tiger or a Sprint ST.
NEVER!!!! Im talking total cafe-racer. And not for all the time....just bike nights and maybe longer trips. For my every day trips around Atlanta, gotta be naked.....well except my riding boots and helmet, saftey first you know!!! lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
I read a while ago that triumph had a racing league for the speed triple, to my recollection it they had fairings, may do some research on them, not sure there is a league still.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have posted many times on this subject on the T3 forum.

Fairings are reserved for gaylords and shirt lifters.

As far as the T3 Speed Triple challenge goes, the bikes did not have fairings of any kind.

Again, for the same reasons outlined above.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

As far as the T3 Speed Triple challenge goes, the bikes did not have fairings of any kind.

I looked for your previous posts, for better insight to your hostility, but couldnt find any. There was one in a ST forum, but not here.

Fly screens are illegal on T309's.............
The only thing I DID notice is how often you decide on the sexual prefrence of somebody based on wether or not they set their bike up like yours. For example:

If you are gay, do not get the 3:1
Standard answer: If you're not gay, get and R&G tail tidy...........

There was one other thing you posted that struck my interest!

Remember what your mother said. If you don't have anything nice to say....................

·
Registered
300 Posts

So let me get this straight... you only date men with fairings?

That's a bit random, even for coming from a twink.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK OK.....he gave me an uppercut, and I countered with a left hook.....its over, lets not start a war here. Were all Triumph lovers here.

Now if I can only find a new photo editor for my new computer to mock up a pic!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, it is winter. One thing fiberglass work needs is time.

I have made a one-off rear cowling/battery compartment out of matte and weave before, but a fairing would be difficult...not impossible though.

Making one that looked good would be even harder.

I would probably estimate about $300-$400 for a project like that...just because there would be lots of ****ups, etc.

You can source foam for molds from materials sources like McMaster, etc. The measurements would be pretty complicated, but fiberglass flexes so even if its off a bit you could make it work. Youll need the gel film release agent stuff. A lot of beer. If you wanna go all out for lightweight you could get a vacuum setup with the bags, etc. If you have the internet, and you know how to read, nothing is impossible

You should start lookin at cafe racer threads on other forums and then draw a few mockups on what you think would look best. Then go from there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
might be better off finding one that was close to what I want, and altering it a little. sounds like it would cost about the same. However, if I wanted to do it....what about plaster. Would that make an acceptable mold?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, if you find one to modify itll just add to your costs.

but you could use something else to start with. Good glass work involves making many molds before finally arriving at a plug then a final mold.

There was a thread in svrider somewhere that had a complete project of a guy who made a carbon fiber tank. I think he used his old tank as a rough plug, then made a mold, then another plug, then the final mold. Each time getting smoother and smoother.

But again. yous gotta find out why you want a fairing and what you need it to look like first.
If you get good enough, maybe you could make a carbon fiber fairing. Thatd look ****. Didnt someone here do that to their 675?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK.....it took digging an old photo editor program out of the closet, chating with HP's technical support to find out why my 3 month old laptops cd drive wasn't working, uploading the editor, searching google pics for the fairing I liked, finding a pic of a S3 from the triumph website and about 1 hour of experiminting with a program that im unfamiliar with......but heres my conceptual design.

(i thing the clip-ons are a smidgen out of scale)

opinions are welcome.....even from wiayeman! lol

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
OK.....it took digging an old photo editor program out of the closet, chating with HP's technical support to find out why my 3 month old laptops cd drive wasn't working, uploading the editor, searching google pics for the fairing I liked, finding a pic of a S3 from the triumph website and about 1 hour of experiminting with a program that im unfamiliar with......but heres my conceptual design.

(i thing the clip-ons are a smidgen out of scale)

opinions are welcome.....even from wiayeman! lol

Off topic but I couldn't help but notice that you have a 1984 FJ600. I had an 84FJ1100 for many years. I always wanted to know how the 600 rode. I have yet to see one in person.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts