Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Can anyone help me by telling me how to remove the fuel tank or how to turn one side up?

I want to add a cable from the battery - underneath the fuel tank - to my gps-mount.

I did it before on my R1 '07 and on that bike it seemed a bit easier.
:embarrassed:

(I've searched this forum around, but didn't find an answer...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been a little while since i've done it but i think it goes something like this

1. remove seat

2. remove painted side covers (allens)

3. remove allen bolt at top of tank near steering head

4. loosen bolt at rear of tank (or out completley as long as your careful in the next step

5. grab the tank at the front and tilt up so you can get to the breather hoses, fuel pump harness, and fuel line

6. undo the breathers first cuz i think that they are the shortest, then squeeze the connector at the end of the fuel line and disconnect. (a little gas will come out but it has a self closing valve so not all)

7. undo the wiring harness for the fuel pump

8. pull tank off and set aside

should be it, but like i said...hadnt done on the speedie in a while and might have gotten somethin confused but it seems right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a little while since i've done it but i think it goes something like this

1. remove seat

2. remove painted side covers (allens)

3. remove allen bolt at top of tank near steering head

4. loosen bolt at rear of tank (or out completley as long as your careful in the next step

5. grab the tank at the front and tilt up so you can get to the breather hoses, fuel pump harness, and fuel line

6. undo the breathers first cuz i think that they are the shortest, then squeeze the connector at the end of the fuel line and disconnect. (a little gas will come out but it has a self closing valve so not all)

7. undo the wiring harness for the fuel pump

8. pull tank off and set aside

should be it, but like i said...hadnt done on the speedie in a while and might have gotten somethin confused but it seems right
Thanks!

One question on number 3: Isn't that bolt underneath the tank?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That allen bolt doesn't come off. Note which breather hose goes where before removing them. One has a one way valve.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
FredeRRiek, you don't have to touch the front mounting bolt at all. On your 09 the front is a slide fit on a stud on the frame. On older plastic tank bikes the front bolt is accessible from top of the tank. On steel tanked bikes not.

Just undo the rear bolt + side panel bolts and you can pull & lift tank backwards.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ya....what Martin said. Remember that the tank has two large metal tabs in the rear pointing down that align it. These sharp tabs can scratch if you rub them against anything.

What you can also do is remove the rear tank bolt. Slide the tank back to release the front tab from the stud and then put the rear bolt back in. Now the tank can be propped up in the front without having to remove it. It's nice if you have to have a quick look around.
This is all assuming that you don't have a front allen bolt showing like on my 2008 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That allen bolt doesn't come off. Note which breather hose goes where before removing them. One has a one way valve.
Good pointer, thanks.
:)

FredeRRiek, you don't have to touch the front mounting bolt at all. On your 09 the front is a slide fit on a stud on the frame. On older plastic tank bikes the front bolt is accessible from top of the tank. On steel tanked bikes not.

Just undo the rear bolt + side panel bolts and you can pull & lift tank backwards.
Well, that was the problem. I thougt I had to take out a bolt on the front, but it wasn't accessible. This explains why. Thanks!

Ya....what Martin said. Remember that the tank has two large metal tabs in the rear pointing down that align it. These sharp tabs can scratch if you rub them against anything.

What you can also do is remove the rear tank bolt. Slide the tank back to release the front tab from the stud and then put the rear bolt back in. Now the tank can be propped up in the front without having to remove it. It's nice if you have to have a quick look around.
This is all assuming that you don't have a front allen bolt showing like on my 2008 model.
No, its not like your model. It's unaccessible.
Thanks for pointing out to watch out for the sharp tabs. Wouldn't like to scratch something...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ran my GPS power cable down from the handle bars along the left side under the tank, wrapped it around a few other wires so it couldn't get in contact with any hot engine parts and hooked it up... no problem, no removing the tank. It's done 10,000km now and still works. Probably too late saying this now though...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Thanks for this post, mine is an 08 but looks like I can follow the same instructions. Just have to remember not to fill up too much petrol beforehand.

·
Registered
909 Posts
have an 06, got the tank off
when putting it back on, its a pita cause you have to push it up against the front allen bolt before you can slide the rear bolt in.
is it this hard for everyone ?

thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used some strimmer wire as a fish wire kept pokin it between tank and frame till it poked out other end taped the gps wire on it and pulled it back dead easy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
have an 06, got the tank off
when putting it back on, its a pita cause you have to push it up against the front allen bolt before you can slide the rear bolt in.
is it this hard for everyone ?

thanks
Yes it is a bugger. The bike moved forward rather than the front of the tank engaging. Fortunately the bike was on a stand so it didn't matter. I just chocked the front wheel, but it took a surprising amount of force to click in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts