Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked through search function for views on Specialty Spares megaphones, found nothing. Curious about how they are - if anyone is using them and would be interested in hearing any comments. I like the $190 price. Wish to replace stock exhaust on an '09 Thruxton.

·
Registered
7 Posts
spares

I had specialty spares "megaphones" on my '05 T100 and they were so loud that I would rattle windows when went down the road... of course I wasn't easy on the throttle either... not good gas mileage with those babies on, but they sure do say "FU... this bike is a TRIUMPH!" let me know so I can post a pic and you can see how they look...

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Quoted from http://www.specialtyspares.com/bonnevilles.htm

"SS006/Megaphone: One of our best selling sets. Set up includes 2 Emgo reverse cone mufflers, a set of adapter pipes ...."

You're talking about these, right?

That is what I am currently set up with on my 08 Bonnie Black. I have no plans to take them off anytime soon. They are a bit loud, unless you wrap some muffler wrap around the baffles. When i first put 'em on, I went right out for a quick spin up the highway. As I was getting on the highway, a Harley was in the left lane and he was giving me the thumbs up... that's when i knew they were too loud.

I wrapped my baffles with some Moose Muffler wrap and wrapped the wrap with some good strong wire. Almost 7K later and the wrap is still there. Starting to get a little loud again, so I have probably started to wear a hole in the wrap. (didn't I saw wrap or wrapped a lot in that last paragraph?)

The finish on the pipes is pretty good. I bring my boy to school every morning and his sneakers are all over the chrome on the pipes. It still looks good.

The adapters that SS makes and includes with the setup also make for a good looking and air tight system.

Quality job all around with this option, in my opinion. And with the 800 - 1000 that you'll save on Staintunes or the 400 you'll save over D&D's, you got some money left over for other nice upgrades!

Ohh -- I get 39 mpg in the city. Last week was the first real decent ride I had where I was able to stay in one gear and fairly steady RPM's for a while -- basically, highway mileage -- I got 49 mpg!!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Wyo, those are the ones I'm looking at. Good info. Heard about loudness and that's not much my style. If they can be toned down - good.
I dig TOR's, have them on my Bonneville and just the right sound - but twice the dough.
Oh, are the SpecSpares upswept, as on a Thruxton, or straight?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Was trying to find a picture of my bike to show you - i'm at work and can't seem to get a decent photo of her right now. I went and looked at a dealer website -- the sweep is very, VERY, similar to an 09 Bonnie -- http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite/images/newvehicles/nv101867_1.jpg

If you had an 08 Bonnie and an 08 Thrux, the sweep would be about in the middle, just like the 09 Bonnie in the photo (link) above shows.

At first, I did not like the loudness much either (even after I wrapped em). Once I jetted and fiddled with the snorkel, I like the sound a lot. I guess the best compliment I ever got on the sound, one day pulling in to the Post Office, some ol' guy hung his head out the window of his pickup and said "Damn, that sounds just like my old Norton from the 70's".

Really, you want to be quiet with em, just lay off the throttle on the way to work in the morning - nice mellow sound that will never be confused with a singer sewing machine.

Looked at that pic again -- looks almost identical to how mine look.

·
Registered
107 Posts
loud

they are very loud. much louder than debaffled stock pipes. but, hey, i like them. i would say that they are quieter than harley drag pipes, but still plenty loud. as for the upsweep of the pipes, check out the bellacorse website. http://www.bellacorse.com/whatsnew.html that's my blue thruxton with the emgo's on it. they are fully adjustable for how much sweep you want as well as how much you want them sticking out the sides. mine are upswept to where they just touch the passenger footpegs.
brad

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Brad - they look pretty good. If the sound can be dampened a bit, better yet. I like the $150 idea; it appeals to my sense of thrift.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good, zex. I hit a problem - my wife says the Thruxton sounds good - my Bonneville with TOR's is too loud, she says. LOL! Got to consider the better half's views for a happy marriage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts