Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's taken me a while to get around to posting these images with some editorial but better late than never.

Anyway the trip was a two-day affair up in to the high country with a stay over on Mount Hotham.

I met up with Leg at a cafe` in the Yarra Valley. It's a 1 hour plus trip for Leg and a 15 minute blast for me to get there. The Yarra Valley is in Victoria’s Wine area. A great place to start.

Watch out here's one very shady character...

Oh! hang on, its Leg

After a coffee we hit the road for the first 500k's of our trip. Not long in, Leg starts to fall behind so I pull over to wait for him. He gingerly approaches me and says he saw a hidden speed camera a few K's back. He described a camera on a pole with a cable coming from it. We decide to do a U-ee and investigate (maybe put it out of action with some strategically positioned tree branches).
As you can see from the pic's below, Legs eye's are playing tricks on him.

That's right a bloody letter box.

We're off again; me laughing for quite some time and Leg still convinced it was a camera.

A few stops later we go to the top of Mount Buffallo where there is a lovely Châteaux and a very large menacing parrot. This one was only a few moments away from flying off with Legs bike.

Back down the mountain we go, only to go up another - Mount Hotham. Victoria's highest peak and a great place to go summer or winter.

We arrived with no accommodation booked thinking there would be no one there only to find out everything was booked out for the fire fighters. It looked like we had to bike it off the mountain but managed to get a room at one of the Alpine resort hotels. Few! We parked up the speedy's and popped on down to the pub.

We had a top meal that night and caught up with a few of the fire fighters and drivers. Top blokes doing a tough job.

First thing the next morning I got up early and took a panoramic of what we were going to ride down.

For the two days we were on the road it was mid to high 30's. But the early morning ride off the mountain was just perfect. Cool and sunny and the very best roads in Australia for bikes. It was non-stop corners for the next 4 hours of riding. We had long tight sweepers that we hit at 145+kph. It was peg-grinding bliss.

First stop once off the mountain was Omeo for Brekkie. Bacon, Eggs, Sausages, Mushrooms and toast. YUM.

Just enough to keep us going to get us through the next 3 hours of twisties. This part of the trip takes us to Shivers home town, and who do we bump into while there...

After going back to Shivers joint for a cold drink and chat we hit the road for the last few hundred k's home. This part was not that enjoyable. It was stinking hot and because of that we cut our trip short and took the most direct route, which also was the most boring.

We had a great time and plan on doing it again soon.

Here are some more pic’s .

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
come on sparti, do tell the whole truth. Wasn't this really leggy's rooming partner fer the night? :hammer: :-D

Great pics and report sparti. I always knew leggy was half blind, that's why he bought a black speedy. :razz: Hey leggy, you've got mail. :lgh: :roflmoa2:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Looks like a great time.

Do you have any more shots of the scenery? It is always interesting to see photos of good rides in other countries.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Cheers, guys. Now I just have to figure out how to spend my winters in Oz...

·
Registered
643 Posts
I really enjoyed your write-up and the pics, Sparti. You're making Australia look like a good place to retire. And John, we've got some mailboxes around here that are also well-disguised speed traps :wink:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Great pictures, guys. I want to go.

Hey Legman! Are you sure you didn't travel in the US about 40 years ago? I think I found a picture of your son!

He's got the same first name, the same haircut, and the same jacket and everything!

Too bad he doesn't have your good a taste in motorcycles: he just bought a spanking new 2005 Daytona 955. (He'll kill me if he sees this picture posted :wink: )

Thanks again Sparti, and Legman too!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ah, the Trident. Yes, it is just a S3 with more class, but they should have kept it in the line any way.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I remember those two bikes from somewhere,sounds like you had a great one.Big fan of all those roads,you lucky bastiches. :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Never seen three Speed Triples in one place at the same time before. Looks like a great trip.

·
Registered
344 Posts
On 2007-02-19 14:08, R100Pilot wrote:
Never seen three Speed Triples in one place at the same time before. Looks like a great trip.
me neither.................til today!...more to come

:wink:

</a>">

</a>">

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Sparti,

have you got a route plan of your ride?

I live in the east and sounds like a pretty good excuse to get out and about to me! :-D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2007-02-19 19:06, sss1200 wrote:
Hi Sparti,

have you got a route plan of your ride?

I live in the east and sounds like a pretty good excuse to get out and about to me! :-D
Sure do. I'll get it to you ASAP (at work at the moment).

I'm based in Eltham and Leg is from the peninsular. Where abouts in the east are you?
I'm always looking for an excuse to go on a bike ride. Let me know if you want to catch up. I live 15 mins away from St Andrews Pub - a great place start from.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On 2007-02-19 19:40, 24gt wrote:
So every one wants to know whitch bike is faster black or blue.
When the black one is carrying a behemoth (Leg) it has to be the Blue one.

Actually we've done a few roll-on tests and there's very little in it. Where i consistently beat legs machine is in the fuel consumption. Leg acts like the main sail of the Cutty Sark on his bike compared to my more normal wind friendly proportions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2007-02-19 19:59, Sparti wrote:

Sure do. I'll get it to you ASAP (at work at the moment).

I'm based in Eltham and Leg is from the peninsular. Where abouts in the east are you?
I'm always looking for an excuse to go on a bike ride. Let me know if you want to catch up. I live 15 mins away from St Andrews Pub - a great place start from.
I'm in Ringwood North, so not all that far from St Andrews...
Been past there on a Sunday a couple of times, place is always packed :cool:
Will def have to meet and get a ride in sometime (just got to get a leave pass from weekend renovations first :-D )

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in Ringwood North, so not all that far from St Andrews...
Been past there on a Sunday a couple of times, place is always packed :cool:
Will def have to meet and get a ride in sometime (just got to get a leave pass from weekend renovations first :-D )
Ha! you're in the same boat as me. Been involved in a major house reno for the last 5 months. It's been hard getting out on the bike. I'll PM you my contact details and the trip details

1 - 20 of 23 Posts