Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which spark plugs would you guys recommend for my 1970 T100C with Podronics rec/reg.?
Thanx, Steve

·
6,414 Posts
Hi Steve,

Any reg./rec. doesn't have anything to do with ignition. Triumph recommended Champion N4 in your bike. NGK B7ES is the equivalent although I prefer NGK B7EVX with thin platinum centre electrode.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

Any reg./rec. doesn't have anything to do with ignition. Triumph recommended Champion N4 in your bike. NGK B7ES is the equivalent although I prefer with thin platinum centre electrode.

Hth.

Regards,
Thanx for the response. I ordered a pair of
NGK B7EVX from Amazon. Thank you
Steve

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Iridium plugs are resistror types, About 5K ohms by my measurements....You may want to eliminate resistor plug wire caps if you are using them...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
NGK B7EVX is not listed in NGK corporate catalog that I can find...So I figured it was a misprint...Now on Amazon I see NGK B7EVX and it says "Made by Honda for Honda engines", 5 left in stock....I like the idea of the resistor built into the plug and not the wire terminal for ease of replacement in the rare case of a failure...Of course either way will work..I will let you know if the Iridium plugs do anything different than the the standard plugs when the glacier retreats in a few months...

·
6,414 Posts
Hi Tony,

NGK B7EVX is not listed in NGK corporate catalog
on Amazon I see NGK B7EVX and it says "Made by Honda for Honda engines",
I came to B7EVX:-

. firstly from using B8EV in the T160's when lead used to foul ordinary B8ES and N3 after around 4,000 miles;

. at the time, B8EV was widely-available as particularly Yamaha two-strokes used 'em;

. when that craze passed and many dealers stopped stocking B8EV, I was recommended to a racing spares supplier;

. he supplied B8EVX when that superseded B8EV;

. when I wanted similar plugs for the T100, I just asked if B7EVX was available and he supplied.

like the idea of the resistor built into the plug and not the wire terminal for ease of replacement in the rare case of a failure.
+1 but I don't fit any HT resistors if the bike doesn't have any digital electronics.

Fwiw, when trying to help posters in the US in the past, searching with Google from GB for US suppliers of an item is a pita, it's very hard to select keywords to stop Google returning links to British or European suppliers. :( So I've never been completely sure if the Google returns from such searches are reliable; e.g. is it really true you can't buy non-resistor NGK plugs in the US (apart from Honda-made(?) B7EVX's :rolleyes:), or is Google telling me porkies (e.g. apparently B8EIX non-resistor iridium is available in GB but Google didn't return a US supplier)?

Regards,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tony,

I came to B7EVX:-

. firstly from using B8EV in the T160's when lead used to foul ordinary B8ES and N3 after around 4,000 miles;

. at the time, B8EV was widely-available as particularly Yamaha two-strokes used 'em;

. when that craze passed and many dealers stopped stocking B8EV, I was recommended to a racing spares supplier;

. he supplied B8EVX when that superseded B8EV;

. when I wanted similar plugs for the T100, I just asked if B7EVX was available and he supplied.

+1 but I don't fit any HT resistors if the bike doesn't have any digital electronics.

Fwiw, when trying to help posters in the US in the past, searching with Google from GB for US suppliers of an item is a pita, it's very hard to select keywords to stop Google returning links to British or European suppliers. :( So I've never been completely sure if the Google returns from such searches are reliable; e.g. is it really true you can't buy non-resistor NGK plugs in the US (apart from Honda-made(?) B7EVX's :rolleyes:), or is Google telling me porkies (e.g. apparently B8EIX non-resistor iridium is available in GB but Google didn't return a US supplier)?

Regards,
A wealth of information, as usual. Thank you.
I agree with you. A real pita when Google links to European suppliers.

The reason I asked for spark plug advise was that although my bike starts much better since my electrics problem was solved, I felt it still could be improved.
A friend of mine said that when he used "needle point plugs" really helped with starting issues.

When I install them, I'll post the results.
Steve

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Generally speaking....Hi performmance car builders say that Iridium plugs can run hotter than a convetional plug of the same heat range. So if an engine is detonation prone you should be aware of detonation signs, pinging is one for sure..This could be a problem in areas where higher octane fuel is not available but likely not a problem for most riders..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Generally speaking....Hi performmance car builders say that Iridium plugs can run hotter than a convetional plug of the same heat range. So if an engine is detonation prone you should be aware of detonation signs, pinging is one for sure..This could be a problem in areas where higher octane fuel is not available but likely not a problem for most riders..
Thanks for the heads up. Plugs will arrive next week and will post my results.
I actually also ordered a pair of Champion N3C and will see which makes an improvement.
Steve

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I’m really not understanding how that could be. Heat Range of a plug is a result of both design and laboratory testing. As long as you are comparing plugs within the same company, the heat range is the heat range. It’s a measured value. Every time a new plug design comes out I read this same kind of stuff. Somebody uses new plugs, stuffs a motor, and of course, blames the plugs.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It's what pro tuners claim from their experience...They are talking about how the plug performs in high output situations..This is probably beyond the original specification testing..

·
6,414 Posts
Hi,

Hi performmance car builders say that Iridium plugs can run hotter than a convetional plug of the same heat range.
really not understanding how that could be. Heat Range of a plug is a result of both design and laboratory testing. As long as you are comparing plugs within the same company, the heat range is the heat range.
Sort-of ...

NGK B8ES plugs have similar characteristics - including the heat range - to Champion N3's, originally recommended by Triumph, BSA and NVT for triples.

Triumph, BSA and NVT triples' manuals all said plugs should go 10,000 miles before they needed changing. The problem I was experiencing with leaded fuel in my T160's was the plugs'd only go a bit over 3,000 miles before one or other'd start misfiring; blasting 'em in a local garage's plug cleaning machine would 'fix' the problem for a while but ever-decreasing mileages; at one time, I was replacing the plugs at 3,000-mile services to miss the problem. (n)

The problem was the lead or an oxide was fouling both N3's and B8ES's before they were fully-hot and able to burn it off. (n) Otoh, certainly B8EV's and B8EVX's have a wider heat range, that burnt off the lead/oxide before it could accumulate to foul the plug. (y)

Even though leaded fuel hasn't been available in GB for years, I've stuck with the EVX's because not only did initial use show a consistent 2-3 mpg improvement on the T160's, I don't want to find out ordinary plugs signal they don't like modern fuel by starting to misfire in the boonies, nor am I about to start carrying spare plugs again after several decades of not bothering.

Hth.

Regards,

·
6,414 Posts
Hi Steve,

also ordered a pair of Champion N3C and will see which makes an improvement.
As I posted earlier, Triumph originally recommended N4 for your bike, N3 is 'colder'.

Ime, if the problem is plugs, initially any will likely be an immediate "improvement". Your problem will be later if the 'starting problem' returns, then discerning whether the cause is any 'wrong' plugs you fitted, or something else entirely ... :)

Regards,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Sort-of ...

NGK B8ES plugs have similar characteristics - including the heat range - to Champion N3's, originally recommended by Triumph, BSA and NVT for triples.

Triumph, BSA and NVT triples' manuals all said plugs should go 10,000 miles before they needed changing. The problem I was experiencing with leaded fuel in my T160's was the plugs'd only go a bit over 3,000 miles before one or other'd start misfiring; blasting 'em in a local garage's plug cleaning machine would 'fix' the problem for a while but ever-decreasing mileages; at one time, I was replacing the plugs at 3,000-mile services to miss the problem. (n)

The problem was the lead or an oxide was fouling both N3's and B8ES's before they were fully-hot and able to burn it off. (n) Otoh, certainly B8EV's and B8EVX's have a wider heat range, that burnt off the lead/oxide before it could accumulate to foul the plug. (y)

Even though leaded fuel hasn't been available in GB for years, I've stuck with the EVX's because not only did initial use show a consistent 2-3 mpg improvement on the T160's, I don't want to find out ordinary plugs signal they don't like modern fuel by starting to misfire in the boonies, nor am I about to start carrying spare plugs again after several decades of not bothering.

Hth.

Regards,
The B8EVX and N3 will arrive this week. I can experiment if they make a difference.
Will post results and keep in mind your observation and see if problem returns.
Non ethanol fuel is available in Oregon and use that in everything but our cars. I think the octane is +97.
That should help somewhat.
Will post results.
Thanx, Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts