Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The stock plugs are NGK CR9EK! You could replace with the Denso Iridium above, or NGK Iridium CR9EIX.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Denso Iridium IU27A ;)
I put these in my 2006 Speedy last weekend and it's been idling rough and misfiring below 4K RPM. I think I'll probably switch back to the stock NGK, as a number of folks have stated the iron tip dual prong plugs work better in Speedy (although I'm sure I'm opening myself up to criticism).

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I have to agree with Cletus. The OEM fitment plugs work much better than the fancy top of the line platinum+iridium plugs I tried.

I think the newest bikes might have NGK CR8EK instead of CR9EK, but I have not checked yet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
+1 for stock plugs. The engine/ECU is tuned for them. Plugs are relatively cheap. Change them often if you insist on optimum performance

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stock plugs. Change them once a year or 2x or 3x depending on mileage. :D

Your Butt dyno will not notice the difference between the NGK CR9EK (which are good plugs) and even the top of the line platinum plugs.

And if that doesnt sway you, look up all the threads with rusted spark plugs. It is CHEAP insurance to replace your plugs once a year and reapply anti-sieze and dielectric grease.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock plugs. Change them once a year or 2x or 3x depending on mileage. :D

Your Butt dyno will not notice the difference between the NGK CR9EK (which are good plugs) and even the top of the line platinum plugs.

And if that doesnt sway you, look up all the threads with rusted spark plugs. It is CHEAP insurance to replace your plugs once a year and reapply anti-sieze and dielectric grease.
Funny thing is I sell NGK plugs where I work and couldnt find a listing. Today I called NGK and they at first couldnt find a listing but they checked NGK of the UK and found them. The actual part number and stock numbers are different. When he gave me the stock number we had 4 in stock so I bought 3 and am waiting for my KNN air filter to come in to do the install. I've scene all the threads about the plugs being stuck (prey to gawd mine isint the case). It also seems like guys say changing them is a pain in the ass...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Funny thing is I sell NGK plugs where I work and couldnt find a listing. Today I called NGK and they at first couldnt find a listing but they checked NGK of the UK and found them. The actual part number and stock numbers are different. When he gave me the stock number we had 4 in stock so I bought 3 and am waiting for my KNN air filter to come in to do the install. I've scene all the threads about the plugs being stuck (prey to gawd mine isint the case). It also seems like guys say changing them is a pain in the ass...
While you're in there, you may want to think about upgrading the coil collars as well. They are very cheap and far better than original.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/70861-05-06-rusty-spark-plug-fix.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts