Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm a newbie 2 this forum from Coleford in the Forest of Dean (UK). My Speedy failed 2 start xmas day. Thought at first it was the ECU failing. Mechs spent 3 days b4 they found it was the spark plugs! And this after 1900 miles!! They say that that it must have been a bad batch of lead-free petrol that caused the plugs 2 fail. They put 3 new NGK plugs in and Speedy goes like the wind again... I saw the plugs. They looked okay 2 me -- other than 2 being estremely rusty (is that normal?). Seems though that the inner (twin) electrodes had been affected. The mechs r as confused as me, but the new plugs solved the problem so they cannot b wrong!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
the rusted plugs are purdy common on these machines. If any water gits down in there, it's not designed to run out, it just sits there and rusts away on yer plugs. :hammer: Welcome to the nutboard, you'll do just fine around here if you listen to everything I say. :-D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 4 the welcome CheapB. I'm glad 2b here!

I was v. surprized @ the extent of the rust on the plugs (esp. after only such a short time), most of all tho, I couldn't understand how all 3 plugs could fail simultaneously. But they did...proof was in their replacement!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
all 3 took a dump huh? interesting. you'd think they'd make a non-ferrous alloy plug by now.

[ This message was edited by: zooplancton on 2007-01-05 13:51 ]

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Zoopl... I was really surprized that the plating deteriorated so quickly on the NGK plugs-- on a August manufactured bike, not ridden in the rain -- just washed reg. But how all 3 plugs failed due to poor gas is a real mystery!?! But it happened. The bike just failed absolutely 2 fire up b4 they were replaced!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Spark Plugs ehm!
My experience. Stuck in a Zard PC111 tune overlay (does that make sense?) and I had a friggin' two cylinder for a few miles. 3rd cylinder came on eventually. Went back to Waynes 1088 tune.
No probs since then. Bike starts immed and great response.
IMHO fuelling plays an important part on plug performance.

Plug rusting seems an issue. Try and keep bike dry (difficult in UK weather). I'd definately put copper (anti seize) grease on the plug threads and try silicon grease on the plug body. Others may offer diff solutions.

BTW welcome to the looney bin!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an 03 and had the same problem at about 2300 miles. I was told that part of the problem may have been me twisting the throttle while hitting the start button. Seems this sends a signal to ECU to run richer during warm up or something and tends to foul the plugs. The bike would turn over and over and never fire. I had always had carbeurated bikes before, so I didn't know. Oh well, live and learn. She runs like a champ now!!

Shawn

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome Mr Dean,you are in for a treat with this bike.Had the same thing happen to mine(spark plugs)They were sitting in water halfway up the plug,don't know how the thing was still running.Take it back to your dealer and get them to reseal the top of the plug leads where they mount in the head.They should not charge you for this as they admitted mine should have been done at the factory.Ride on. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Welcome Dean.

There are many opinions on this site and few expert comments. It's a wonderful place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2007-01-05 18:23, Catenaccio wrote:

There are many opinions on this site and few expert comments.
My dog disagrees. I, however, am in complete agreement.

Welcome Dean. Seems like an odd problem, that more than a few have experienced. Not me, so far (5700 mi.)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On 2007-01-05 18:23, Catenaccio wrote:
There are many opinions on this site and few expert comments. It's a wonderful place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.
...says the man with 1049 posts and has been camped out here for 2 years.

Capt.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have the Jack Lilley after-market silencers fitted + the TORS mapping installed. Do u think that the mapping & race pipes could cause the plugs 2 fail?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-01-06 02:07, DeanRider wrote:
i have the Jack Lilley after-market silencers fitted + the TORS mapping installed. Do u think that the mapping & race pipes could cause the plugs 2 fail?
If you open throttle during starting you risk a rich mixture blotting a plug or two, with the Triumph stock or TOR tunes.
Wayne's '20088Tune_Dyno39.dat' (Tuneboy) is much better in this regard. Tolerates opening throttle during start without flooding the engine. Response power and torque also improved over Triumph tunes, but fuel consumption a a bit worse.
You'll need a tuneboy and also need to block off/gut the SAI.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question: Can someone confirm whether the UK spec bike has SAI? Reading some earlier posts I understand that SAI-spec bikes have two extra outlet pipes above the cam covers which lead in2 the airbox. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
All bikes except Aussie New Zealand and South Africa have SAI.
Ditching it removes the overrun bangs, especially with straight cans, and exhaust discolours less. Also lightens bike somewhat!
Emissions would be worse.
Most everyone ditches the SAI with an aftermarket can.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ahhh, Australia.
We have the Ashes, no SAI and we gave the motherland Kylie,
Dame Edna and Germaine Greer.
Blessed we are.

G'day Deano

:-D :-D :razz:

AA

1 - 20 of 31 Posts