Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct spark plug number for a 95 Sprint?

I also need to know a good place to buy the valve adjustment tool.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
According to my Haynes manual they're NGK DPR9EA-9. NGK also has Iridium plugs for it, but I don't know the # for them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
jetmech,
I bought the valve adjustment tool from a local dealer. It works well for $98. I understand that someone on this site sells one he has made for about $60.

BTW, other than your ride, what are you spinning a wrench on (RJ, Junglejet, gen.av.)?

Zip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-12-18 22:27, zippythehog wrote:
jetmech,
I bought the valve adjustment tool from a local dealer. It works well for $98. I understand that someone on this site sells one he has made for about $60.

BTW, other than your ride, what are you spinning a wrench on (RJ, Junglejet, gen.av.)?

Zip
I read 8 pages on the Hinkley forums and found a link for the shim tool. $51 to my door by Christmas. Bike Bandit had them for $113.50 plus shipping and a 2 week wait.

http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html

The local Triumph guys refused to sell me one. Said that it was to be used by authorized Triumph mechanics only.
I am sure glad that my wife bought a Suzuki Bandit 1200 instead of a new Sprint when they told me that.

As far as wrenching for a living, mostly heavy checks on 757 and 737's. Inside the hanger where it is nice and dry.

[ This message was edited by: jetmech on 2006-12-19 14:11 ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
the drawings in the download section on this web site for the valve tool are easy to follow and i can confirm that all the holes are in the right places as i made the tool up and it worked ok its fiddly though and if your doing more than say a couple of shim changes its probably easier to take out the cam sounds worse than it is to do.

·
Registered
492 Posts
jetmech,

With aviation experience like 75 and 73, I don't know if you have the technical ability to handle a powerful tool like the Triumph-factory-valve-adjustment tool. You probably have IA and type specific training so, maybe, just maybe, with a little practice and a demonstration in front of a factory authorized dealer, you might be able to qualify.

I'm a hamfisted airplane-driver and they let me have one!

Zip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the no sale of the tool as a " you have to bring it to us to adjust the valves ".

I won't be doing business with that dealer again.

What type of plane do you fly? I have flown in WACOS, Stearmans, Swift145, Aeroncas, Cubs, and many more old stuff. I did aerial survey work for years out of a 63 Cessna 320(turbo-charged 310). That thing would top out at 24,000. Of course it took us almost an hour to get there.

[ This message was edited by: jetmech on 2006-12-19 19:42 ]

·
Registered
492 Posts
I instruct at a sim training facility in the Ce-560 XL (sort of a parts bin).

My fondest memories are of night freight in a Navajo Chieftain.

Zip

[ This message was edited by: zippythehog on 2006-12-21 18:46 ]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-12-21 18:46, zippythehog wrote:
I instruct at a sim training facility in the Ce-560 XL (sort of a parts bin).

My fondest memories are of night freight in a Navajo Chieftain.

Zip
In the late 80's, the company that I worked for bought Darrel Waltrips old Navajo Panther(88DW). The Panther was a 350 hp conversion with wingtips. I was fortunate enough to ride right seat on more then one flight. It was one of the smoothest flying recip twins out there.

[ This message was edited by: jetmech on 2006-12-21 23:56 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts