Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!

I am trying to change my spark plugs. I have bought some new ones and the nut on it needs an 18mm socket (I don't have a tool in my triumph tool kit). I can't get one to fit down inside the shaft. I have bought a proper 18mm spark plug wrench which doesn't fit, I have bought a thin walled socket which won't fit either?? Have I missed something here? Could they have sold me the wrong spark plugs which I used to gauge what size socket was needed? The numbers on the box say NGKDPR8EA9. It is an 07 with metal tank.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Help!!

I am trying to change my spark plugs. I have bought some new ones and the nut on it needs an 18mm socket (I don't have a tool in my triumph tool kit). I can't get one to fit down inside the shaft. I have bought a proper 18mm spark plug wrench which doesn't fit, I have bought a thin walled socket which won't fit either?? Have I missed something here? Could they have sold me the wrong spark plugs which I used to gauge what size socket was needed? The numbers on the box say NGKDPR8EA9. It is an 07 with metal tank.
my notes say
NGKCR8EK or 9EK
check your manual, it should be listed on the last page. I think your bike is 9EK.

the plugs don't have a cap screw at the top. so your socket won't be able to lift them up after they've been loosened. ..for this, like someone mentioned on this forums, use a piece of hose or something...and cut the ends so you can pull your plugs out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The hose trick works well. Martin_R I believe it was also recommended a dedicated spark plug wrench that had a magnet seated in it. He even posted a pic of it for reference I'm on the mobile app so search is a little more difficult but if you're in front of a computer try searching by his posts.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have bought a proper 18mm spark plug wrench which doesn't fit, I have bought a thin walled socket which won't fit either?? Have I missed something here? Could they have sold me the wrong spark plugs which I used to gauge what size socket was needed? The numbers on the box say NGKDPR8EA9. It is an 07 with metal tank.
CR9EK or CR8EK and you'll require a 16mm thin wall socket!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CR9EK or CR8EK and you'll require a 16mm thin wall socket!
Right, it's sorted. I tried three bike shops and they all looked up what type of spark plug I required for my bike and they all looked it up in their books and told me it was a DPR8EA9, which is what I bought. That plug requires an 18mm socket which wasn't fitting. So I checked manual and it agrees with you on the spark plug type. I got some more plugs and a 16mm thin wall socket and they are now changed.

So, the directory their all looking at is wrong in the type of spark plug required for a speed triple!

I am trying to do most of the 20k service myself, most of which I have never done before, in fact I have only really ever done an oil change before. How difficult would changing the fuel filter be for a complete novice?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
How difficult would changing the fuel filter be for a complete novice?
Mine may be different, as it's an 05 with plastic tank. Removal was easy, but required a cap-screw to be removed from the sender unit and then the whole assembly slides right out.

TripleFourensics did my 20,000km service and I supplied the fuel filter. Kerry handed it back to me and told me it was too early and we'd do it at 30,000km and it was done then.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Did the 07 metal tank bike still have a separate fuel filter?

At least on 08+ bikes the filter, fuel level sender and pump are all integrated into one plastic lump inside the tank. I don't think there is a filter one could change on these models - just the "meshbag" type filter on the outside of the unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts