Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been chasing a "missing" issue on the old Legend. I belive that I have found the problem. I keep fouling plugs on cylinders #2 & #3. So after a little bit of labor I managed to get my spark plug caps out of the boots that they are in. So what I found was some nasty connections between the terminal end of the wire and the cap connection. # 2 was not even connected really at all. That and the two caps are all discoulored (white, like from heat).

Since the Legend is my secondary bike I don't want to have to dump a lot of money into her, hench $120 on wires. I've done some reasearch and found NGK has some caps that might work with the right resistor and connections on either end, with a little bit of modification, to get back into the factory boot .

Has anyone ever tried this, and if so how did you make out?

SD05F

http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=SD05F

Thought... good or bad, let me have it!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
These "little" parts are what make owning the T300 so frustrating! I managed to get a set of OEM plugs from a dealer 2 years ago and it cost me alot of money but well worth it.

What "missing" problem are you having?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,934 Posts
Seems like the best bet would be to get the OEM ignition wires with the plugs. They have a nice fit to the opening of the motor to keep water out.

Also use some dielectric grease on the tops of the sparkplugs. That'll keep moisture out and give a better connection to the cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long story short, after the 40K mile rebuild it started running a bit funny after a few thousand miles. After tearing the carbs apart again, resetting the low end to three turns and going through everything I just could not get it to run right below 3~4000 RPM. I finally pulled the plugs and found the right two fouled. I replaced them and it got better, but only for a short time. Now at 47K it was acting up again and I pulled the plugs and found them starting to foul again and I noticed a little bit of a disconect inside the spark plug boot. That's when I cleaned it out and tried to re-connect it the best that I could.

So that's the story...

Since I had everything off again, I redialed the low end back down to 2.5 turns out and cleaned the plugs (that had less than 100 miles on them) and put it all back together. I seperated the plug caps and wires to inspect and found a lot of corrosion on #2 & #3 and #2 was hardly connected there was so much build up in the bottom of the cap. I cleaned it all out and put it all back together and it is a little better than it was, but still same symptoms are starting again.

Idle instability, severe missing almost to the point of death, when it rains it just gets worse, still misses/sputters when the RPM is below 3~4000 and I get on the throttle under load (in gear moving down the road).

So what I've summed it up to is the caps rather than just the wires. The wires are fine, good crimps both ends and no broken strands.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top