Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange colour in the sky... nice comforting grey gone and this harsh blue colour with a big yellow thing hanging in it making everyone hot.
Ride was a short one in aid of the Mount Carmel hospital in Clonakilty. The Beehive Bar in Connonagh, to Crookhaven - round trip about 80 miles.
The West Cork Motorcycle Club organised it. Was the first time I've ridden with them. Mostly sportbikes, but a couple of old Bonnevilles, a 'Tona, a Norton Commando, a couple of MotoGuzzi's, some Harleys, Honda Shadows and even a Honda 90.
The Speedy had a new front tyre and a clean and was raring to go.
DSC_0050 (Small).JPG
The fine weather brought out a huge (for West Cork) gathering. Must have been about a hundred and fifty bikes.
DSC_0053 (Small).JPG
DSC_0054 (Small).JPG
Started out all together, but the narrow roads soon thinned out the pack, everyone riding at pretty much their own pace. Through the town of Skibbereen, small children gawped and waved, and then out to the rocky wilderness that is the far south west. One Fireblade ended up in the bog (the bike stuck upright, most amusing. Rider just muddy; if he'd come off at almost any other corner he would have been toast)
Crookhaven is about as far south and as far west as you can get without getting wet, tiny little fishing village with about ten houses and two pubs.
DSC_0058 (Small).JPG
Time for sandwiches and soup. Some ate more than most...
DSC_0056 (Small).JPG
...then a blast back all the way non-stop to Connonagh. Led a group of Ninjas, Transalps etc most of the way. They had faster bikes, but I knew the road. A 'spirited ride', we'll say.

Nice day out. First time I've ever been on an organised ride. Learned that I like to go faster than most, but familiarity with the track... er... route, probably accounted for that. The pictures are rubbish. I'll do better next time.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,998 Posts
I can't imagine 150 bikes in one place on Irish roads. There were times I had trouble picturing the car I was driving in one place on some Irish roads. :D

I had the 'track - I mean road' thought myself just today. Boy was it good to get out!

I'd say those are pretty good pictures. I particularly like the pic of Crookhaven.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write-up & pics. I'm envious, I'd love to ride in Ireland some day.
Hmmm... how's your suspension? Iron Butt, in Ireland, is a one hundred mile in a day thing...:D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Hmmm... how's your suspension? Iron Butt, in Ireland, is a one hundred mile in a day thing...:D
Rich, I've driven quite a number of miles all over Ireland in our several trips there, so I know how the roads are.

And I STILL want to ride there. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts