Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to use the word “budget” since so many equate it to mean cheaply made. In any case are there sources/ brands of gear that are a little more budget friendly?

Not opposed to used gear either.

Suggestions? Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can sometimes grab good deals on Amazon. Motorcyclegear.com is the old Newenough. They carry closeouts as well as new and used gear. I have bought many bits of kit from them with no complaints. I also have seen some posts on here when one of the online retailers has good deals. Good hunting.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
I can sometimes grab good deals on Amazon. Motorcyclegear.com is the old Newenough. They carry closeouts as well as new and used gear. I have bought many bits of kit from them with no complaints. I also have seen some posts on here when one of the online retailers has good deals. Good hunting.
Bezos will never willingly get $0.10 of mine... :p, but Motorcyclegear/Newenough is a terrific source for premium gear at reasonable prices and has good phone support/advice, easy exchanges, etc. Can't beat that IMO.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you can wait to save up a bit more cash, I’d suggest not buying cheap stuff. The better kits will last longer and give you more satisfaction. And, one does not ever stop getting more gear.

·
Registered
215 Posts
+1 to what pmorritt said. I got a killer deal on my Held goretex kit. Best money spent. Wish I had done that before I bought the closet full I have now. Would have been cheaper in the long run...

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you can wait to save up a bit more cash, I’d suggest not buying cheap stuff. The better kits will last longer and give you more satisfaction. And, one does not ever stop getting more gear.
Agreed. One more reason to buy top quality/goretex gear: getting wet on the bike absolutely wrecks your whole day. I've bought most of my gear used on the ADVrider forum. It took me 5 or 6 years and a few jackets, each one better than the last, before getting a Motorad Streetguard 3 set and Klim Latitude set. Guys on that forum are always buying and selling stuff. Everything I've bought is like new.

The Streetguard gear is pricey for sure, but is just phenomenal. It'll be the jacket and pants I'll buy. Unless of course, I put on weight...:grin2: The Latitude is waterproof too and not so crunchy/heavy. Only reason I have both is insurance covered the damage to the first jacket on a low side slide. I'll be leaving one set with the bike on the other side of the country so it'll be there when I return for it next year.
Unless you live in the desert, buy goretex if you possible can. I've had other "waterproof" gear that didn't keep me dry when I needed it to. You may not think you'll be out long enough that you need it, but I guarantee, the first all-day ride you do, the sky will open up on you and once you're wet, you get cold very fast.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've bought quite a few pieces on sale or on closeout at Motorcyclegear.com. Very easy to deal with, inexpensive to return for an exchange or refund. Also bought used items from various folks on different forums. Worked out well. You can look at what CycleGear sells under their own label if you want. I tend not to like their gear for some reason. I've bought lower priced items, not top shelf that have lasted me more than ten years without issue. Of course, I don't crash often so gear tends to last for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely see the value in buying good gear. My current line of work reinforces that notion. Just wasn't sure if there were more wallet friendly sources or undervalued brands out there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The higher end stuff doesn't get discounted as much which is why I buy used. Once in a while you can find a closeout on a discontinued line though.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Check out the Triumphrat classified section. Every now and then a member posts a jacket that doesn't fit them anymore or other gear that they've moved on from.:dunno

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pricing is seasonal for many of the online sites. If you save up your pennies for Black Friday or the week after Christmas, you can get some really good deals. Last year I bought my favorite RSD jacket for $99 (marked down from $499.). That’s also a good time of the year to buy warm weather gear, especially gloves and shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check out the Triumphrat classified section. Every now and then a member posts a jacket that doesn't fit them anymore or other gear that they've moved on from.:dunno

Unfortunately I don’t have enough posts to even browse the ads. No telling when that will happen. I prefer to search and read for answers to my questions than to just start new posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
+100 for newenough.com. I know they’ve changed their name, but I started shopping there back then, so that is how I remember the name. They put their $.02 in for every product they carry and provide plenty of detail, pictures etc. Just ordered some stuff from them the other day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts