Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Source for replacement left side engine cover?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TroyH 
#1 ·
I need to replace my left side crankcase cover due to some misfortune today. I'm hoping to find a black one, but any source will do. Hoping the dealer isn't the only place.

Thx!

[ This message was edited by: TroyH on 2006-11-27 00:20 ]

#5 ·
i did mine myself after laying it down....and i forgot the gasket after ordering it through the dealer so i had to wait another week for the gasket. But all you have to do is remove the shifter and clutch cable. then unbolt all the bolts on the cover. (BTW MAKE SURE YOU DRAINED THE OIL!!) Then pry off the cover...may be a bit difficult. then simply put the new one on with the new gasket. put back the cable, shifter, bolts etc... and renew the oil.

#7 ·
On 2006-11-26 17:52, TroyH wrote:
I need to replace my left side crankcase cover due to some misfortune today.
I've thought about installing sliders, but haven't yet. Would they have helped, and whats the damage in dollars? I forget how much the sliders are, but don't recall them being very high.

#8 ·
On 2006-11-28 18:29, whoa wrote:
I've thought about installing sliders, but haven't yet. Would they have helped, and whats the damage in dollars? I forget how much the sliders are, but don't recall them being very high.
No, I didn't drop the bike. I wound up off road in a shallow ditch, still sitting in the saddle and still mostly upright. The *only* damage is: scratched up crankcase cover, broken shift lever & scratched left can.

The lever is on order, the cans are going to be replaced anyway, so the crankcase cover is the only thing left to fix.

#9 ·
I recently had the trans cover off to be powdercoated, just wanted to let you know to be careful with spring at the end of the clutch rod, it sits in a hole at the end of the rod and a groove in the case, just make sure its seated properly when you put it back together or it can get bent like mine did.

#10 ·
On 2006-11-28 22:30, wvthruxton wrote:
I recently had the trans cover off to be powdercoated, just wanted to let you know to be careful with spring at the end of the clutch rod, it sits in a hole at the end of the rod and a groove in the case, just make sure its seated properly when you put it back together or it can get bent like mine did.
Yeah, I love the look of your covers. However, I also like Thrux-ton-up's polished covers, and that can be done for the price of some paint stripper. :)

I'm calling the local powdercoat shop tomorrow to get a quote. The other real downside to that plan is that I don't have a garage, so the bike would be sitting with covers off for a few days or however long the powdercoating takes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.