Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a shorter rider (5' 5") and have no troubles riding my Roadie. I currently have 20mm risers on the bike. I find I get a sore back when riding with a passenger, and sometimes if I sit normal in the sadle. Riding solo, I can at least vary my position to ease it.

I notice my arm is sitting almost fully extended and a little high. Should I remove the risers, tilt the bar closer, remove the risers, or something else?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would suggest a pair of Rox risers. You can control both the height and rear sweep to an extent. Maybe bring the bars back and lower them a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest a pair of Rox risers. You can control both the height and rear sweep to an extent. Maybe bring the bars back and lower them a bit.
There are different heights. How do I know which to choose?

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are different heights. How do I know which to choose?
Wish I could give you an exact answer on that. I believe most people are using the the 2" version. That size should give you enough adjustment to accomplish what your trying to do. Maybe call Rox and ask them? Give them all the details and see what they say. Iv'e heard they have good customer service.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm a shorter rider (5' 5") and have no troubles riding my Roadie. I currently have 20mm risers on the bike. I find I get a sore back when riding with a passenger, and sometimes if I sit normal in the sadle. Riding solo, I can at least vary my position to ease it.

I notice my arm is sitting almost fully extended and a little high. Should I remove the risers, tilt the bar closer, remove the risers, or something else?

Any ideas?
Your problem may not be caused by the risers but your saddle.

Chico

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
1. The XC model has a taller handlebar mount that you might want to consider for your Roadie.
2. ROX Riser is excellent way to help yourself to bring the bar up and back. I have the rubber mounted version but if I was redoing the installation would go with solid version.
3. ROX also sells a 1 inch extension to the basic riser which I added and helped immensely.
4. Consider cutting an inch off each end of the handlebar to bring your extended arms closer together. This will naturally push your shoulders back a bit allowing you to sit straighter.
5. The OEM saddle is an ergonomic disaster. I have not changed mine because of the monetary outlay required but know it needs to be flatter to allow more fore-aft movement and not crush one's family jewels. Also, my passengers complain that the passenger saddle is tilted a bit too much forward causing them to slide forward constantly.

At 5'5" you are 3 inches shorter than me. Now that the suspension has settled and the saddle is broken in, I can just place both feet flat on the ground. Unless you have very long legs, I imagine that it is impossible for you to place your feet flat on the ground when the bike is stopped, which means that you are contorting your body to have at least one foot supporting the bike. With a passenger you have the added effort of balancing the even higher CG of the loaded bike while your body is contorted. No wonder that you are in pain. There are some threads that discuss bike lowering options that may be worth reading.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My take on it is that you have to be prepared to experiment. I'm 1.80m/5'10" tall and I too found the bars too far away. Also, the bars, for me, were too straight and were uncomfortable on my wrists and forearms.
Now, I had a bit of a head start by having some Renthal bars (615-01) that I had fitted to my Scrambler900efi to make that comfortable. The only trouble was that they were 7/8" bars. So, I designed some clamps to suit. Mounted it all up and with their greater sweep bringing the grips back towards me and having a better angle I'm now all day comfortable on my 800XC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5 foot seven and find my shoulder blades become uncomfortable after Long ride.I was planning to buy our risers to bring the bars closer to me.
I do like the idea of cutting an inch off of each end of the bars so before I do that I'll wait for any comments.
I ride a BMW R100 RS which has incredibly narrow bars.
Also filtering could be a bit easier?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Another solution is changing the entire handlebar as C4mun mentions. It does become harder to select what might work for you when you don't have a selection on hand to try out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem, my bars feel to far forward and my arms are stretched out a decent amount. I'm going to start looking at the rox kits to see what they offer.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm a bit less than 5' 6" with 29" inseam. I binned the stock seat for a Sargent seat which opens the seating position about 2", it's flatter to allow shifting back and forth that amount to change up knee, hip, and arm position. The stock bars needed to come back some so I could take advantage of that 2" so I tried the 28 mm Rox 2" variable risers. I installed them at about a 45 degree angle to pull the bars back 1" and up 1". The top bridge already tilts the handlebar mounts back at an angle so the total pull back with the Rox risers is about 1.5". This works well for me.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If the bars width is trimmed 1", would that create less leverage with turns in soft earth? Would the control clusters need a new locating hole drilled? Or, do they have locating pins?
If you have bars that have a cross bar support, it's a good idea to have a pad there. Even better, there's a molded canteen that "wraps" around the bar. Holds a liter or 2 of liquid. I've seen them with water, gatorade and even gasoline. Anything is better than that unpadded bar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm 5'6". I started with the Rox 2" risers. I then added the 1" extensions. Combined with a Sargent seat, it works for me now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts