Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
ImagoX

Matt: When you remove your stock fender, there will be about a 2" gap that will expose your underseat area to debris from the rear tire. I used a soft rubber flap about 1/8" thick and trimmed it to fit in that area. You can hold it together with pop rivets, or zip ties. My turn signals are fairly small and light weight made of plastic on flexible rubber stalks, so weight is not a problem. I fabricated an aluminum bracket, slightly offset to the rear to tilt the top of the license plate backwards at a slightly more vertical angle than the angle of the fender, which makes the license plate a little more vertical. Send me your email again and I'll send you some more pics with a better explanation. Tom.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sent you a message, Tom...

The Baja fender and my Dart flyscreen are at the painter's - should have them back by Thursday. I'm going to fit the small front turn signal replacements and (hopefully) my front fork gaiters while I wait.

Also trying to decide if I want to use the stock license plate frame on the Baja fender (don't think I do, as it sticks up quite a bit), or if I want to try and find a lower-profile replacement. Since I can't fabricate a replacement, can someone recommend a good, simple license plate bolt-on I could use on the Baja mud guard?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fly screen and fender didn't come back from the painter - delays. Feh. Should have them Monday.

In the meantime, I took the clear tail light assembly from the Baja kit and made it red, using clear red adhesive vinyl. It came out pretty good, I think:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sent you a message, Tom...

The Baja fender and my Dart flyscreen are at the painter's - should have them back by Thursday. I'm going to fit the small front turn signal replacements and (hopefully) my front fork gaiters while I wait.

Also trying to decide if I want to use the stock license plate frame on the Baja fender (don't think I do, as it sticks up quite a bit), or if I want to try and find a lower-profile replacement. Since I can't fabricate a replacement, can someone recommend a good, simple license plate bolt-on I could use on the Baja mud guard?
hey man , nice ride.... gaitors? did it come with, is it similar to my '95, i would like to find gaitors that work on mine, and the air filter... is it aftermarket? have a link???? thanx...did I say ..nice ride!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
oh ya, I wanted to post the pic of my seat, due near to the 22nd of June.....
now this is only the pic from the ad, I did do the custom request on the details, no red piping, no sewing in the seat, black carbon fiber sides, same on the seat back, I really like the idea of being able to put the seat back in either position....

waiting for "shipping" is driving me nutzzz..... 1100$ worth of goodies & only the shield came so far, i'm driving my wife nutzz too...muahahahahahahhaahhahahah

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
hey man , nice ride.... gaitors? did it come with, is it similar to my '95, i would like to find gaitors that work on mine, and the air filter... is it aftermarket? have a link???? thanx...did I say ..nice ride!!!!
]

I got the gaiters here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/139847-awesome-shipping-speed-www-triumph-online-co-uk.html

I'm putting them on in the morning - wish me luck!! I wanted to put on the rear mud guard as well, but it's still being painted. Oh well - next week.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gaiters are on, but the rubber gaskets at the top and bottom of the headlamp bracket were NASTY - looks like someone used black, tar-like gasket fitting paste to try and seal them, and when I pulled out the forks the gaskets stuck to the tubes and got all pulled out of shape. :mad:^%$#@!:mad: Then when I tried re-fitting the forks, all that black tar crap was forced up and came out the top of the bracket, making a huge, sticky mess.

I ordered a new set of rubbers and will tear everything down AGAIN next weekend, then clean out all the %$#@! black [email protected] with brake cleaner, which seems to dissolve it. I'm annoyed...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gaiters are on, but the rubber gaskets at the top and bottom of the headlamp bracket were NASTY - looks like someone used black, tar-like gasket fitting paste to try and seal them,
I thought the same thing, but that "tar" is actually the rubber gasket. After 12+ years, the cheap rubber has broken down, kind of like a rubber band. I think this would be a good piece for someone to remanufacture out of polyurethane.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No way... there's WAY too much goop. Like 5X-6X the amount that would be possible from the gasket alone. It's all over the top third of the fork tube, and oozing over the to end of the tube and across the clamp.

Looks to me like it was smeared over the top end of the fork tube and then the gasket was put on top of it, possibly in an attempt to seal the top end against water incursion. The bottom rubbers didn't have this issue at ALL and I'd assume they're of the same vintage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah - I remember that thread (it's one of mine). :)

But the gaskets didn't just crumble away - there's a LOT of black goop in the space beneath where the rubber ring goes, so much so that when I pressed the fork tube back in enough came out the top to partially cover the preload adjuster at the top of the fork. Seems like WAY too much material to be explained by the gasket disintegrating.

(Shrug)...

Oh well - no matter. I have the new gaskets on order and there's enough "goop" floating around inside the headlamp brackets to hold them in place (even if the gaskets themselves are all torqued out of place). I can ride a bit until they come in and I can clean everything out properly.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
OK, here are the pics... Other than a weird issue with my turn signals, this went without a hitch.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Oh, TommyTurbo (if you're reading) - you said I'd have a gap between the inner mudguard piece and the Baja piece, but on my bike they overlapped with about 1" to spare. I just bolted them together with a small bolt and nylock nut and I think I'm good to go. While I was in there, I replaced all the mild steel bolts and nuts with stainless - the seat bolts were so rusted I had to soak them for a while in penetrating catalyst to work them loose, so I figured I'd better spend a bit of $ and do it right. Cost me $40 in assorted hardware, but now literally every fastener back there's stainless...

I'll need to trim down the inner mud guard piece a bit to match the more sparse lines of the Baja tail, but that won't take much work. I like it!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts