Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information from a reliable source. Harley Davidson will chalange the Thruxtons. 2009 will ba a very interesting year for the Thruxton cup.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What bike will they be using? The 883 sportster?

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
What bike will they be using? The 883 sportster?
No, that wouldn't be "fair".
Of course they will need to run a 1200 against the Thruxton. The 883 would get its clock cleaned. The 1200 will probably get its clock cleaned too for that matter.

Too bad you can't use an old Thunderbird Sport.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Of course they will need to run a 1200 against the Thruxton. The 883 would get its clock cleaned. The 1200 will probably get its clock cleaned too for that matter.

Too bad you can't use an old Thunderbird Sport.
I HEARD that!!! Maybe with a Cosworth engine in it....

·
30,169 Posts
If it's not fair, then the competition is already over. Should be like vs like. If HD are running 1200's then before they enter the race they've already admitted their bikes aren't as good. That being the case, it should be permissible for someone to run big bore triumphs. Put a 989 up against the 1200 HD, and then see what happens.

Of course, maybe that's already allowed, I don't really know.

·
30,169 Posts
I know that, but that's not the point.

The 883, which would be the bike in a like vs like race, doesn't do it.

You might just as well put my Ninja against a Thrux. The 1200 is a different class bike (but not very much more class). If you go like vs like there's no competition and the thrux takes it. That's all I'm sayin'.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I wouldn't talk too much trash about the 1200 sporty motor unless you've ridden one. Those things have some serious grunt.

Yes I have ridden a NEW 1200 Sportster and I wouldn't call what they have as serious grunt.
A 1203 Buell has grunt (not serious.)
An air cooled 1000/1100 Ducati has serious grunt. A 1200 BMW has serious grunt. The 1200 Sportster is wheezey and gutless in the company of those bikes.
Yes I have ridden a NEW 1200 Sportster.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I would not bet on the HD being slow.If you have ever been to flat track races .The HD bikes about own the big twin class .If they come out with motors like they use on them a stock triumph wont be fast enough,a stock Thruxton is pretty gutless to.In a drag race you will have your hands full with a 1200 sportster.The trouble you will have with HD is the factory backs there race teams triumph dont help theres.

·
30,169 Posts
again, I'm not doubting what the big twin HD can do, that's not the point.

The point is, in order to have any hope at all, HD has to enter a 1200 cc bike against an 865cc bike - a 38% increase in cubes in order to have any chance at all.

Which just says to me that in a straight comparison the sportster does not rival a Thruxton.

Mikeinva - put your big bore bonnie against a 1200 sporster - which one takes it do you think?

That's right - your Triumph. I know this because I have read a thread in which you essentially did that. And your bike still doesn't have as many cubes as the sportster.

I have no interest in the individual grunt and / or merits of the 1200 sportster, the point for me is that a 1200 bike vs a 865 bike is an unrealistic comparison, that's all. I don't see what racing a 1200 sporty against a Thrux proves, that's all.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
BIKE magazine recently did a test of a new HD XR1200 Sportster. To say it was underwhelming would be an understatment!

As measured by BIKE magazine:
HD XR1200
0-60 -4.34 s

1/4 mile - 13.11 @ 103.9 mph

Measured HP - 90.1 @ 6900rpm

Meanwhile the Moto Guzzi Griso 8V,

0-60 3.38s

1/4 mile - 11.76 @ 117.5 mph

Measured HP - 97.5 @ 7300rpm.

BMW R1200R was comparable to the Guzzi.

Looking at the dyno charts shows the XR1200 mill hitting the rev limiter BEFORE peak hp or torque is reached. HD sure has lot of faith in their engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting....but there's SO much more to it than just HP......Put a V Max on a Thruxton grid and I'm sure it would be first into turn 1 and last exiting turn 3. The Sportys are porky at 550-565 lbs, and forward controls or floorboards (?) aren't exactly MotoGP replica items . Then there's the unique wheel sizes (21/16) on some models.....Not alot of race rubber in those sizes.

I did 6 dyno pulls on my Thrux Cup bike today, all showed 58 rwhp (SAE corrected, 61 raw hp) pulling hard right to 8000 . That's w/ 135 mains (slightly fat), 42 pilots, K&N, Airbox mods, and Preds on lousy winter pump gas. It was really just a baseline test before I head south for a race school/ track day in December. I'll get some dyno room pics up soon. No output, broken printer!

AFAIK, AHMRA hasn't even addressed the legality of the EFI '09s.....

-eric

·
30,169 Posts
Exactly Jeff!

That's my point - I just don't see what a race where MUCH bigger bikes race smaller ones is about - I don't doubt what the 1200 sporty can do, but it's like - so what? There's a race HD wants to eneter, and everyone's turning a blind eye kind of a deal. "OK you can enter your bigger bike, because your engine technology is kind of crap", I mean - why? It just doesn't make sense.

You have that 904 - and it will smoke any stock 1200, in both handling and performance - and still only has - er - 75% (more or less) of the cubes.

So I guess I'm missing something. HD should put the 883 sporty against the thrux, because that is the straight comparison. That won't happen, because what does it prove?

Right. That's all I have to say about that. Time for another beer.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
HD got their butts handed to them with the disaterous Buell XBRR! It was 1200 ish cc and the 600 cc SS mopped the floor with it.

What was that saying about taking a knife to a gun fight?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts