Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I do love the T100, and everything about it, and I fully admit that the tank is absolutely stunning, and wide like tanks I'm used to - namely the tank of a Norton Atlas. I never did like the US style tank on the older bikes, too narrow where your knees sit.

I was cleaning the garage yesterday, which involved the moving of dad's old 900GTS Ducati which he rode mostly as total transport from 78-89.

I had to make use some bar stock as rear suspension because dad borrowed the shocks from it for his T100 a few years ago till he had the cash for Hagons. I also discovered it in fact has a sidestand - dad had a habit of removing these in favor of just the center stand... and with this strut the center stand only goes down to a 30 degree angle and there's just no hope of lifting it alone. The sidestand is VERY well hidden by the muffler which is why I think I never noticed it before.

Anyways... I still can't get over just how comfortable the GTS is for sitting on. Dad had lower BMW bars, which I borrowed ages ago swopping them with the bars that came stock on my 750 Breva.

But the ways your knees fit so smoothly into the indents and the way the tank I assume buffets the wind around them (hasn't been run since '89 so that's a guess).

What I'd like to try at some point is this:

The first check will be to see if the tank even fits the Triumph at all. If it does then I'll begin the investigation for a damaged T100 tank and an old GTS tank, then have them spliced together.

As far as the seat goes, that'd be using a T100 seat pan, and getting new foam for a Ducati Pan, as well as a seat cover, and just playing with it till it works.

The idea would be this as a touring set up, as the Duke has a 5 gallon tank, and two fuel taps, so all the fuel is able to get to the carbs.

Wouldn't be doing any of this for a while, because frankly I'm broke, but I think it's a nifty idea. I also really dig the look of the Ducati tank, I like the angles they had going in the 70s, reminds me of the breadbox tank that Triumph was doing - which I also really love the look of.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Please Don't butcher the Duke

That bike is beautiful . you will regret chopping it up.
There are plenty of after market tanks out there that are like the cut away / racer look.

I understand the clean sweep that you'll feel buy cutting your Dads bike.

It would be better to restore or fully modify it then it will be yours and a still bit of dads

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Looks like a good project. You need a traditional Triumph paint job on the tank, though. Looks kinda funky as is.

·
Registered
592 Posts
He said that he was going to test fit his Dad's tank, but then go out and buy a salvage tank from the internet somewhere...

It is definitely different. I think it will add a unique flair to your bike that others will certainly appreciate. I don't mind the way it looks, but it wouldn't be the style I'd want on my bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please Don't butcher the Duke

That bike is beautiful . you will regret chopping it up.
There are plenty of after market tanks out there that are like the cut away / racer look.

I understand the clean sweep that you'll feel buy cutting your Dads bike.

It would be better to restore or fully modify it then it will be yours and a still bit of dads
No No, I have no intention of butchering the Duke, as others noticed the tank on Dad's would be a test for fit, I'd then locate another GTS gastank to use.

I have the deepest love for Dad's bikes. The only alterations I ever did was turning one of the Nortons into a Triton, combining a bike he'd had from his 20s with a bike I got in my 20s.

Seen here:

And you'll note a great deal of the Norton traits remain.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry for the panic --thought you were going to scrap the bike and part it out.
I think the tank would look good polished Blank / Aluminum not the Orange/ decal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But does it hold more gas?????
Holds at least 5 gallons. Also being an old school tank no funky nozzle blocking thing in the tank, flip the cap and there's just a hole straight into the tank.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Absolutley not for me. I'll pass on the Frankencycle. I like that stuff thats already available in that style of tank.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Agreed - leave the T100 alone.
I would rather have the Ducati than a T100 though - that is a fantastic looking bike with great ergonomics.
Great to see the Atlas - but it bears little relation to the sports touring Atlas I will receive shortly - mine having trad colours for a start not a 70's abigails party theme!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
OP...as Cal said, its as great a heresy to hack up that Ducati as it is the Bonny. People do it all the time however and they are your bikes. Personally, I would restore the Ducati as a tribute to your father to ride on Sundays and ride and enjoy the Bonnie as is.
Have fun.
George

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great idea. I sometimes wish for more range especially out west where fuel stops run just shy of my tanks capacity. I gotten 190 - 195 out of a tank and wondering when I was going to start pushing. LOL Keep us posted I'd like to see the end result as well as your Dad's Duc back on the road.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Tricati? or Ducumph??

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
The Duc tank looks similar to what used to be called a Manx tank, used on the Island so you'd have enough gas to make a couple laps at race pace. I think AirTech does a range of fiberglass tanks that style but haven't checked to see if they have one for Hinckley twins. Alternativly, maybe a vintage restorer would have a source for that style?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cbwright - indeed it does, I've contemplated a Manx tank for the Atlas, but at that point I'd feel pressed into a manx type seat, clip ons, and rear sets... and I just love the Norton stock tank too much.

I do know you can get a Manx tank for the T100. But I've always liked trying things that don't get tried too often.. which is part of the reason I've been working on squeezing a Enfield 500 engine & a Norton gearbox into a '73 Triumph frame - fits if you saw the oil tank of the Enfield engine.....

Biker7 - As stated before I have in intention of butchering dad's 900GTS. Never have. I'd take the tank off it to see if it even closely fits the T100, then after that find a Duke tank off an already butchered bike for my uses. I hold my father and his bikes in the HIGHEST regards. The Ducati Will be restored. As to the T100 if it is to be The bike I spend most of my time on over the next 10+ years I am going to have to find subtle and non subtle ways to change it here and there to keep my mind busy as well as my tinkering hands at use... I've had 20+ bikes in the last 4 years, staying with one is REALLY going to be hard, but the T100 was dad's so it stays, and it was his daily so I'll use it as mine.

Sophiaspin - The colors on my Atlas are stock, that is the original tank paint of 1967. The black fenders should be chrome, but I didn't have any money to re-chrome them so I sprayed them to match the frame. Those are also the stock handlebars. The only things non stock on that bike are the oil tank, engine, rear wheel, and mufflers and tail light. The Body panels are original, the seat is original, the tail light bracket is original, headlamp is original, front wheel is original, etc... that bike has been in the family since 1967... I have the photos to prove that is all original, and my father is in most of them.

So I don't know what you mean by "trad" colors... what year is your Atlas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts