Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally some warm weather yesterday - decided to take the Legend out of mothballs.
New spark plug wires were installed - the end that fits onto the Nology coils seemed to be very tight, had to work to get it on, all the while wondering if I had been sent wrong wires.
Installed new Iridium plugs. At first I didn't realize that the cap needed to be removed. Pulled them out and reinstalled.
The new spark plug wires didn't seem to fit quite as snugly as the originals, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.

The first couple of times I hit the starter button nothing happened. No sound at all. Then she came to life, idled smooth and when warmed up I rode 4 miles to the nearest gas station to fill up the tank. She ran smooth all the way without any hesitation. Figured everything was okay.

Now the big problem. I hit the starter button after filling the tank and nothing again. Tried this a good dozen times, and perhaps twice I heard the first sound of the starter beginning to crank, but it was only momentary and occured as I was releasing the starter button.
After repeated attempts, the starter finally engaged and the engine fired up immediately.
Rode home and put the bike away. Now its cold again, so I've got a week or more to figure this one out.
Because the bike ran smoothly I'm ready to count out the changes I made, but if I'm wrong give me a shout.
Any ideas on why the button isn't engaging the starter? Do they wear out with time or use. I've got about 36, 000 miles on the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Well, 1st off, this is not likely connected with your changing the plug wires, unless, indirectly, pulling the tank has disturbed a wire in the loom that was ready to quit.

The possibilities are the starter button, clutch & neutral switches, starter solenoid, starter motor & associated wires & connections.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, 1st off, this is not likely connected with your changing the plug wires, unless, indirectly, pulling the tank has disturbed a wire in the loom that was ready to quit.

The possibilities are the starter button, clutch & neutral switches, starter solenoid, starter motor & associated wires & connections.
My dads bike did something similar to this just yesterday. I was there when he started it, it ran for a few seconds and shut off because it was still cold and he didn't have enough choke. When he went to restart it, it didn't start....it did nothing!

I tried it myself, turned on the key, pulled in the clutch and nothing. Then while holding down the start button I slowly let off the clutch lever and the started it fired right up. His problem was simply a bad adjustment on the clutch safety switch...he had replaced a bushing in the clutch lever recently and something just didn't line up.

So try this. Put it in neutral, turn on the ignition, pull in the clutch all the way and while holding the starter button down, slowly let off the clutch and see if that does the trick.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yep, I agree, clutch switch is a top candidate. They can fail (& they certainly wear out) in unexpected ways.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'd also check the connectors that are attached to the handle bar throttle assembly. If one of both of those wires are loose it could cause a similar problem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So try this. Put it in neutral, turn on the ignition, pull in the clutch all the way and while holding the starter button down, slowly let off the clutch and see if that does the trick.
Yes! It started using this method.
So now, does this mean I should replace the safety switch on the clutch? Is it a fairly simple procedure?
If so, is that how it is described in the BikeBandit parts fiche?

Also note that no work had been done on the clutch, so not sure if an adjustment could be made to the existing switch.
I'm not a good mechanic, but do have Triumph and Haynes manuals.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yes! It started using this method.
So now, does this mean I should replace the safety switch on the clutch? Is it a fairly simple procedure?
If so, is that how it is described in the BikeBandit parts fiche?

Also note that no work had been done on the clutch, so not sure if an adjustment could be made to the existing switch.
I'm not a good mechanic, but do have Triumph and Haynes manuals.
Yes.

Yes.

It's in the Clutch Master Cylinder section - Switch, M/Cylinder Clutch

There's no provision for adjustment, but excessive wear in the lever pivot etc can affect operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts