Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I pulled my tank off today to begin to paint. I ended up draining all the gas out and then proceeded to pull off the petcock, allowing the tank to dry and the residue gas to evaporate. However, as I pulled off the petcock, I saw there was a small filter on left hand side of the apparatus, and another tube on the right which was open. As I pulled the petcock off, I heard something start banging around in the tank. It sounded like a loose pebble. So I started shaking the tank over my head hoping it would fall out of one of the miniscule holes where the petcock was located. I'll wait for you to get a visual image....yeah, hilarious.

Anyway, I eventually got the thing to fall by one of the holes and then managed to pull it out with pliers, and it looks exactly like another screen the petcock might have had. Am I wrong about this? where else might it have come from? why is it clanging around in my tank....my gut tells me it's not supposed to.

Thanks in advance guys/gals -

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yeah, there are separate screens for on and reserve. One fell off.

Edit: It may have come off when you pulled the valve out. Hard to say.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You can buy an inline fuel filter for these machines if you think the glue job may cause trouble. Seem to recall gluing one on a petcock before but cannot think of what stuff I used.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
put a in line filter on it and pull the other one off to .The screens get stopped up and can bight you.you can replace the inline filter easy with less mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts