Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally every T120 vid on the net is nothing but short shifting and poor sound. A guy on a street twin was kind enough to post a top speed run.

Will someone please strap a Gopro on their T120 and do a real 0-top speed test changing gear at redline. If i watch one more country road cruising vid of a T120 short shifting non stop I am going to lose my mind.

Yea I know its the HT motor and its all about midrange but thats not the point. for an extra 3k for that HT motor I want to see the beans

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apply throttle. shift at redline 5 times. Not really that dangerous in a bike with 80HP.

Safety first of course.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't have a T120, but I hit top speed about four days a week on the Bonnie on the way to work. Anyone in southern Italy with a T120 who wants to lend it to me and I will produce a video.
There are a very few things GOOD about a totally failed and corrupt state in Italy. One of them is total lack of speed enforcement.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
More like 135. If one compares it to the R9T, which has similar weight and power and aerodynamics, the R9T does 138. I assume the T120 will be right there someplace. Wind is a tough nut to crack over about 100.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jI hit almost 100 in the street twin on the test ride. Power just felt hollow up there. I had a feeling that the T120 would feel similar up top just with a great deal more midrange. I think that the HP motor is really what I want in a bonnnie but would have to deal with Thruxton Ergos to get it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why? I think you are in the wrong section, you need a Speed Triple.
I am interested in a bonnie. Not another new naked like the Aprilia Tuono I just wrecked and nearly lost my leg. I am hoping to get enough use back in my leg to ride but sport bikes with crowded legs positions will probably never be an option for me again. The T120 on the other hand is possible. I just want to see what the bike accelerates like. Honestly I should be looking at the Thruxton but I want to tour on the bike too.

Please don't insult my situation by telling me I'm looking at the wrong bike. I am looking at the right bike I just want to see what it puts out when hammered.

Respectfullly

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am interested in a bonnie. Not another new naked like the Aprilia Tuono I just wrecked and nearly lost my leg. I am hoping to get enough use back in my leg to ride but sport bikes with crowded legs positions will probably never be an option for me again. The T120 on the other hand is possible. I just want to see what the bike accelerates like. Honestly I should be looking at the Thruxton but I want to tour on the bike too.

Please don't insult my situation by telling me I'm looking at the wrong bike. I am looking at the right bike I just want to see what it puts out when hammered.

Respectfullly
I just dropped down from a 2104 Tuono to the Bonnie. Huge difference in output off the mark, as to be expected, but I now enjoy just pootling along and smelling the roadkill. I changed down as it was just simply too fast for me when I got excited, bearing in mind I'm just a few years short of 70 yrs old. I had trouble with my dick taking over the brain when out riding the hills with friends.....:grin2:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So did the 2104 Tuono run on plutonium or is there still petrol in the future.
:grin2:

Reactions: lostlogik

·
Registered
259 Posts
So did the 2104 Tuono run on plutonium or is there still petrol in the future.
:grin2:

...Let me say it this way... sometimes I took the Grand Cherokee, as it cheaper to run....Consumption was about the same and diesel is cheaper...The triumph only smells gas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No insult intended but if you are worried about top speed I really don't think this is the bike for you. Its a big lazy motor that will do 120mph but that's not what its designed for. The riding position will suit you, upright and very comfortable. Im getting 66mpg ( UK gallons ) on a run and I love the Bike. After a Tuono you will find the brakes and handling lacking but perfectly ok for the use which it is intended. Get well soon and ride safe.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have just had the t120 in for the first service and I have been pushing it now it's got proper oil in
When I put it in they gave me a new speed triple R as a courtesy bike because i asked for it and it was availabile
And wow this thing goes.. I had a zx6r before which I loved but this speed triple.. What a machine
When I got back on my t120 I was happy to be back on a comfy bike again.. As for speed, it's torque seemed to have about the same pull as the triple but ones you get past 4-5k revs it still carries on getting to the redline but it's nothing like a sports bike, there's no powerband
On the zx6r I could get to 120 before I realise on the t120 it gets to 90 nice and easy.. After that thing take a bit longer, sure you could keep the gears down and really go for top speed, but it's so much fun surfing the torque wave.. Makes me want a thunderbird or a rocket 3!!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Last three bikes, Thunderbird 1600 and two Rocket 3's just traded Rocket 3 for a 120.

Dealer just over thirty miles away, took the scenic route all country roads, yes the Rocket shifts, but the ride back home on the 120 was much better, less weight and easier in the bends I don't think I took it out of third gear all the way home apart from a couple of sets of traffic lights and through a few small villages.

I wanted something smaller but still have some guts when needed, Triumph have is spot on going for more torque over HP.

Did 150 miles last Saturday, again out in the country, rivers, small bridges, thatched cottages, very little traffic on the roads, cricket on the village green as I went through some villages, reminds me of the summers in the late 60's just pottering around doing nothing but exploring where the roads took you and waiting for some road signs, that give you an idea of where you were to find your way home.

If I sound like an old fart boring you, just remember you'll be the same one day.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No you're not boring.. These bikes are spot on for riding in the English countryside
And to me the t120 is a really good all rounder do anything bike.. Touring, cruising, commuting or just staring at it!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Did 150 miles last Saturday, again out in the country, rivers, small bridges, thatched cottages, very little traffic on the roads, cricket on the village green as I went through some villages, reminds me of the summers in the late 60's just pottering around doing nothing but exploring where the roads took you and waiting for some road signs, that give you an idea of where you were to find your way home.
Cotswolds? Miss my annual visits there... :( Your description reminds me of the villages west of the A44 before Broadway and west of Chipping Campden.

Used to hire one of these rather than a bike for my meandering... http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/1909-2/LUG18.jpg

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Aylesbury and surrounding villages, but Bourton on the Water is a place worth visiting, nice day out.

Looks like a Morgan?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Greentea and Lambroving, I live in Bourton on the water in the heart of the Cotswolds. Lovely but not so nice on a Bank holiday Monday when its full of tourists. And yes I am very lucky to have been born here and live here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts