Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this connecter exposed next to my battery all taped up and disconnected. Maybe I’m being stupid, but what is it for?

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
I have this connecter exposed next to my battery all taped up and disconnected. Maybe I’m being stupid, but what is it for?
It's to control the purge valve solenoid that is only fitted if the bike is fitted with California-friendly EVAP emissions system.

The EVAP system is a carbon-filled canister to catch raw evaporating fuel vapours while the bike is parked. When the engine is running at a suitable rate the controlled opening of a purge valve allows engine vacuum to draw the stored vapour from the canister and recycle it through the engine.

By suitable rate I mean that the purging won't take place in a situation where the extra fuel vapours would noticeably upset the mixture, like when steady idling.

EVAP is an emissions requirement for bikes originally sold in CA but can often be found on bikes sold in other states.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thank you for the excellent answer.

The bike has never left UK however, are these not fitted as standard at the Hinckley factory to all bikes?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
They are fitted to all bikes whether they are used or not. Cheaper to make one wire harness vs customizing. Other brands do the same thing. I had a Suzuki that had an unused connector under the tank. It was for carb heaters that were installed on UK and CAN bike models but not on US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts