Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than a week ago I put on some axle sliders. Today I noticed the one on the exhaust side was deformed and had actually been throwing melted plastic on the underside of my muffler. Can the muffler get the slider that hot even with air constantly blowing over it? I have attached pics of both sides for reference. There is no deformation at the contact point with the wheel, just at the end where it coned up. Strange and disappointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
No real mystery. Infrared radiation is not effected by wind. There is probably a good deal less airflow than you think in that region. The rear tire lives in the wind shadow of the front tire and the fairing. The axle is very likely to be in the wind shadow of the rear wheel. Voila! Melted axle slider.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No real mystery. Infrared radiation is not effected by wind. There is probably a good deal less airflow than you think in that region. The rear tire lives in the wind shadow of the front tire and the fairing. The axle is very likely to be in the wind shadow of the rear wheel. Voila! Melted axle slider.
Well, it was a mystery to me anyway. Thanks for the info. you'd think they would use a higher temp plastic then. I can't be the first one this happened to.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You could always have a set machined from Titanium. That way you'll have a spark display to look at while sliding along next to the bike. Might be just a tech' spendy though.

Most, if not all of these things are made from Delrin, a form of nylon. Not known for its heat resistance but it slides real well and is easy to machine and cheap to obtain. There is Teflon rod available, machines just as easy and is more heat resistant but not as hard so it will wear down quicker.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Infrared Radiation

It's even simpler than that...

Your suspension travel will take the wheel center past the endcan. When it touches the hot can, you black knob is melting.

The Triumph wheel nut covers that you can buy are sold as "not for Sprint ST" for precisely the same reason. I have a set of nut covers on my bike, and there is about 5mm clearance between the cover and the can when the suspension is depressed.

Your knob thing sticks out much further than that!#

Rexx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts