Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another electrical problem.
After searching and reading most posts on batteries etc., I haven't found an answer to the problem I seem to be having.
When starting my ST, the start motor doesn't turn but the there is a rapid clicking from the starter solenoid.
I checked all the usual, battery is fully charged, voltage is 12.9V, all relays seem OK, clutch switch and kick-stand switch seem OK as well.
Anyone know why the solenoid is making this noise?
It's riding season here (all though a bit hot at the moment) so if I can't fix it soon I will have to bring it to the dealer!
Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds very much like sufficient current is not getting through to the starter motor. Check the tightness and cleanliness of the large connections at the solenoid and the starter motor. Just as a desperate measure if this fails you might try jump leads to the battery to discount this as the possible culprit, batteries can show a decent charge until put under a heavy load. Should this draw a blank you may have to test the starter motor itself. Good luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a similar situation in a previously owned car it turned out that the starter was not engaging, the clicking was the starter solenoid trying to extend to turn the starter and it would not. Just another thought. A friend that is a mechanic tapped on it with a small hammer while I turned the car over and it freed up the problem which never occurred again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
like he said. I had a similar thing happen on my vw bus. The tap did the trick though. If the bike has been sitting a while it will probably suffer a few locked up items that need to be persuaded to move again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery. Hook your volt meter to it again and turn on the switch, see if voltage drops sharply. It's amps that cranks the engine. You can have a lot of static volts but if you do not have the amps to push it, no start. A fully charged battery should read about 13.5 volts without a load.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely the battery!
Even though it's been on the trickle charger for 48 hrs and appears fully charged. Voltage is 12.9V but when I press the start button the voltage drops to below 5V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts