Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a fun bike, but it never quite "fit". Always a bit scrunched!
Sorry to see it go, but I think I'll be looking for a Tiger,

·
Registered
684 Posts
Trouble is the Legend has a lower seat height than the Thunderbird and TBS so is less roomy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There was just a nice looking steamer for sale in Atlanta a week or so ago. It must of sold now but only $2800 and had luggage + some farkles. I would love to have one but no more bikes for me until I sell the TBS.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
What a fun bike, but it never quite "fit". Always a bit scrunched!
Sorry to see it go, but I think I'll be looking for a Tiger,
I have been thinking about selling mine this year. I don't really ride it enough. I have two others. May I ask what you got for it ? ...J.D.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$3300
Bought a 2008 Tiger 1050 yesterday. Can't wait to go and play!!!!!!

Reactions: IrlMike

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Enjoy the new Tiger! :ride

·
Registered
255 Posts
How about post some pics of it, too! I'd love to test ride one sometime. The steamers just looks so good to me, for some reason.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
2008 1050 Tiger isn't a steamer. But it's a VERY nice, capable bike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Right' I was just saying I personally love the look of the steamer. The later models are nice but lost that vintage 'Dakar' feel to me. I'm sure the 1050 is in fact a much better bike.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't ridden a Steamer, and thought seriously about getting one, but from a business perspective, it made more sense to have a later model for JBQ to develop goodies for.

I did get to ride it today (finally) about 120 miles before being driven home by rain. (needs tires), but nice, it is.
Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not my bike, but it is identical.
It has top and side hardbags and a few more goodies.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm sure the 1050 is in fact a much better bike.

:surprise:

Sorry, this statement is incorrect. Apples and oranges. The 1050 is a great lump, and those are great street bikes, but the offroad (well, really dirt road) capabilities were abandoned after the Girlies until the 800XC was offered.
The 1050 lives on in the Tiger Sport, but we can't get them here (which is why I don't own one).
Last point is the Steamers have carbs and engines just like the classic triples, which mean easier to work on at home than a FI bike.
Oh yeah, the headlights suck on the 1050s and can't be corrected with aftermarket upgrades.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
VABird:

Not dissing your ride. They are a great bike, and after a Legend, you probably feel like you are in the catbird seat. Riding position and power are great. My earlier comments were only trying to point out that Triumph has never seemed to be clear on just what a Tiger is - just look at how many current models of Tiger they offer and you see my point. The original Steamers were overbuilt and robust, just like the classic triples, and had some of the same quirks. My 95 had 17,000 miles on it, and I paid $2500 for it. I've got at least that much in additional customizing, so I have probably come close to what you spent on the 2008 (but they are still a bargain in smiles per miles!)
Enjoy it - it's a great long distance touring machine!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VABird:

Not dissing your ride. They are a great bike, and after a Legend, you probably feel like you are in the catbird seat. Riding position and power are great. My earlier comments were only trying to point out that Triumph has never seemed to be clear on just what a Tiger is - just look at how many current models of Tiger they offer and you see my point. The original Steamers were overbuilt and robust, just like the classic triples, and had some of the same quirks. My 95 had 17,000 miles on it, and I paid $2500 for it. I've got at least that much in additional customizing, so I have probably come close to what you spent on the 2008 (but they are still a bargain in smiles per miles!)
Enjoy it - it's a great long distance touring machine!
No offence taken.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts