Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mars has gas. The article says it can come from geologic processes, but also that "methane is a product of biology." So call that 'good evidence that there might be something alive on Mars.'

Unless its unrecognizably different from us, it seems pretty clear at this point that there's no sentient life on Mars. But the implications are still pretty significant on a galactic scale. We know that there are plenty of other stars with planets. If not one, but two planets in our solar system support life, that makes it far more believable that other planets around other stars support life. And just maybe, somewhere in this galaxy or another, is sentient life.

I hope so, anyway, because there's [email protected] all down here on earth. :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting. It's intriguing to contemplate the possibilities, or to paraphrase the late Carl Sagan, the "billions and billions of possibiltities".
As I think you indicated, methane is indeed produced by living organisms. Did the article say it (i.e., methane) can come from geological processes, as well, or was the author indicating other gases (excluding methane)?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Funny you should mention this.
I was watching a documentary on Spirit and Opportunity's odyssey the other day and they said they encountered vast amounts of "natural gas" [sic].

I was overwhelmed with disbelief because natural gas is of fossil nature. If there was natural gas on Mars that could only be due to some ancient organic matter decomposing... and if that was to be true, the scientific community would have already announced that god is dead or something like that.
I was unaware that geologic processes can generate natural gas.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be such a waste of perfectly good real estate if we're the only tenants! :D

[edit]

I see I'm not the only science-geek here! :)

Do you guys know this Asimov's short tale?
http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
[/edit]

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
The outer planets are full of methane, not sure that proves anything about "life".

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the article say it (i.e., methane) can come from geological processes, as well, or was the author indicating other gases (excluding methane)?
I read it to mean that he was listing possible sources of methane, which include geological processes, and life.

Jupiter contains trace amounts of methane, as does Saturn. Saturn's moon, Titan, has methane clouds in it's atmosphere. Neptune and Uranus also contain methane. So this is hardly the first time we've found methane outside Earth's biosphere.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
...........makes it far more believable that other planets around other stars support life. And just maybe, somewhere in this galaxy or another, is sentient life.

I hope so, anyway, because there's [email protected] all down here on earth. :p

I think HiDesert has just called us all Deadbeats ! :D

....you knocked up a little space-ship at work Hide ? going somewhere ? Stepping off the planet ?

....are you taking this slight criticism of Dubya a little too personally ! :p

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Cattle on Mars ! :eek:

...beef prices are bad enough as it is without inter-galaxy dumping !

--------------
Ride on ! :confused:
Now that's exaggeration TBirdnz, let's get our trade wars right. It's only "intra-galaxy" dumping if in the Milky Way LOL

Sorta what happens with NZ wine in Oz (we dump it).... :D

but 400billion stars in our galaxy, and a couple of billion galaxies sure make it seem there should be something more than just methane out there!

Russ

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not cattle

OK, if it's not the cattle, how about landfills from

the last civilization that visited????

Drain, thanks for the pointer. Asimov one of my favorites.

I have read all 6 books of the Foundation trilogy.

Clyde

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Big Bang Anyone!

I always heard there were rings around Uranus. I could be wrong though.;) I can't imagine the astrological impact of such expulsion. Maybe it's just a leftover from the Big Bang Theory.:D

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts