Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, soft tail pack I can use on my Triumph Sprint St 1050 (2005)?

My only concern is how most i've used in the past have a strap that needs to run under the seat - and i'm worried the exhausts will melt/cook the strap?

Cheers for any tips!

Anders

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the forum Sleeptalker:)

I hope you are awake while posting here!:D

I have a Ventura pack rack on my '04 Sprint ST and have the Sport rack also and 10litre soft bag that goes with it.
This is very useful for camera, phone, wallet, and my knitting etc.

it maybe an option for you.

Also I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies, thank you in advance.

cheers,
DaveM

·
Registered
523 Posts
I used Joe Rocket Velocity Soft bags on my bike. I really liked them until I got hard luggage. I just left the straps on top of the seat, I never ride with a passenger, the wife has her own bike.

Dr. Triumph

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Chase Harper is a good source, I have a tail bag I bought from them years ago and it's served me well. Marsee also makes some good kit. I have a brand new Triumph tailbag for the current generation STs that I bought on impulse and would love to sell....

denoose

·
Registered
329 Posts
Having used production hard bags or soft panniers on the various bikes I've owned I've come to an entirely different solution. WHile I have the production hard bags for my ST i rarely use them, for a trip of a week or less in duration i simply tie or bungie a duffle bag across the passenger seat area. I have a few different duffles of various sizes and use a small one for a 2 or 3 dayer while a larger one sufficies for a week or more. Much less weight (those ST bags are heavy) and equal or greater in capacity than the hard bags depending upon the duffle size you choose, i like one with separate end compartments so i can get at frequently needed stuff without unbungieing the bag. Also duffles are pretty cheap, particularly compared to any motorcycle specific gear, you can probably pick up a good heavy duty duffle for less than a quarter of the cost of soft luggage designed for a bike.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like what danall said, I did this for a weekend trip and it was absolutley perfect until it started raining. That sucked.

I would like to get some throw over bags though, I don't remember who but I beleive it was Calliway that suggested a set a while back that were well priced as well as nice looking. I can't for the life of me recall what brand though.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've used an Ogio tail pack lately and liked it-- zip off base enables you to take it on and off quickly. it also expands to a much larger volume with another zipper, and has a shoulder strap-- so it can do double duty. I use it for going to the gym a lot. bag and base both have clear pockets on top along w/several other handy features.

also- can 't say for sure, but I doubt the straps would melt unless in direct contact with a hot pipe. and you could easily insulate as well- tin foil perhaps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!

Thanks everyone for such a brilliant response to my request for help - brilliant forum!

I'll let you know what I find and end up with!

All the best,

Anders

·
Registered
25 Posts
Soft luggage solution

Just returned from a 2 week lap of Tasmania, 2 up with 2 soft panniers or throwovers, and a small cheap top box. The panniers are Motodry sports bags and the top box a cheapie I got from the local scooter shop. I also carry a Rjays tank bag with the mandatory bike bits like puncture repair, wet weather pants, chain lube etc. The combination was perfect. Enough space for 2 for 2 weeks. The soft bags have 2 velcro straps which hold them together. 1 strap goes over the pillion seat, the other slides under the rear rack and grab rail. A rubber strap attaches to the the bags either side and goes under and around the tail light/number plate section. Whilst the luggage was perfect, the Continentals I was running struggled to cope with the Tasmanian roads, and hard cornering in the mountainous areas. Still a great trip and recommend it to all. If you're in Oz that is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts