Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a general disclaimer, I'm new to both riding and owning a motorcycle... so I am a little ignorant. A while ago I had some work done on the front end of my '03 T'bird. The wheel was bent (I'm not sure how I pulled that off as I dropped the bike at a low speed and she didn't hit anything...) and the forks were out of true. I took her in to a local shop and while they were truing the forks they replaced the gaskets that hold the headlight bracket on. I replaced the wheel myself. Everything was going good for about a week until I noticed that she felt squirrely on low speed corners. Then, she started feeling squirrely all of the time. Finally, I noticed there was more sag in the front forks than what I remembered there being before. I have no confidence in maneuvering now, and she doesn't feel like she does either. Am I mistaken in thinking that maybe the forks need some adjustment?
Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I would re-check all the work that both the workshop did, and your own work replacing the front wheel.

If you got something wrong on re-assembly it could be very dangerous.

Check all the bolts and their torque settings.

My forks were also a bit saggy and when one of my fork oil seals went, I put a complete new kit in both. They weren't too expensive, but if you do it I really recommend buying the complete kit from Triumph as it also comes with the bearings and nylon piston rings.

My forks are now a lot harder than before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes, ArferBrick is right. After I rebuilt my forks (bushings, seals, damper piston ring) following a catastrophic oil seal leak, the front end felt completely different. It felt much more confident than before.

How many miles or km do you have on it? I replaced everything at 48000 miles but the bushings were probably worn out well before that and likely contributed to the self-destruction of the oil seal.

Noel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb answer: yes... however, it is a tubeless tire with a tube in it. So I'm not sure what pressure I should be going for. I'm fairly confident it isn't flat.
Andrew

·
Registered
373 Posts
front tyre pressure should be 36 psi regardless of tube/tubeless. having a tube in the tubeless tire reduces the speed rating by one category, not the air pressure. (I was very confused by this tube/tubeless thing at first also!)

Regarding your front end, you may want to check your oil level (although if that weren't right it should have been off from the start not progressively getting worse).

If you don't have one, it's well worth picking up a haynes manual or a service manual.
here's a link to download the service manual. I think it says it only goes up to '99 but I don't think the tbirds changed much at all, and the directions, specifications would likely be identical.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Get the forks off the ground so you can grab everything firmly and give it a shake. Check your steering head brgs, roll your wheel, is it smooth ? I had a Yam 650 that I put a fortune in trying to make it feel secure, only to find bad front wheel brgs. Former owner apparently pressure washed bike.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Oops, made a mistake earlier - the seal kit from Triumph, part # 2040173-T0301, does NOT include the nylon damper piston ring, but includes both sleeve bearings, seating washer, oil seal, dust seal, and circlip.

Here's a pic -

The piston ring part # is 2040171-T0301 and is dirt cheap anyway, so no big deal really.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a scale of one to defusing a bomb, how hard will it to be to rebuild forks in a small garage with limited tools? Also, will it be cheaper to replace everything with one of them Kaw forks and wheel I've been hearing about in the modded sections?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
On a scale of one to defusing a bomb, how hard will it to be to rebuild forks in a small garage with limited tools?

Also, will it be cheaper to replace everything with one of them Kaw forks and wheel I've been hearing about in the modded sections?
Only if you get the parts for free.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Never defused a Bomb so couldn't really give you a reliable reading, but here's my "picture essay" on how I did it -

Fork seal & bearing replacement, part 1

Fork seal & bearing replacement, part 2

The first part also shows you how to make the special tool that you most likely will need. I've forgotten the exact size of the bolt thing that I used, so I'll have to look it up later. The parts for the "special tool" I got from the hardware store plumbing department, so quite easy to find and fabricate.

Please also not that mine are the "early" forks, so there might be a slight difference to yours, no idea, but it still gives you a general overview of what's involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The closest Triumph dealer says it will cost $300-400 of my daughter's college fund to have it fixed. He also strongly suggested I not do it myself... when have I not heard that before? So, it looks like I'll either be doing it myself, or Emma will have to sit in the garage for a long while.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Hello, I'm not sure why your dealer would recommend not doing it yourself, this time of year they should be pretty busy? It is not that hard to do and there is plenty of help here, like Jr. Jr. said buy the Haynes manual about $40.00 it will pay for itself with just the fork work alone.Make sure you have a way to keep the bike stable with the front wheel off.You need your V.I.N. number when ordering dust covers and seals.Squirt a little lubricant between the headlight bracket and gooey rubbers (also need to order new not yet so gooey rubbers) the night before you take them apart. As Arfer said you can make the tools yourself and he does a really good job with his pictures and explanations in his write ups. Also when you do it yourself you can clean in places with parts off that normally you can't get to and the shop will not do (hate to pay shop rate to clean) and finally do a thorough search on this site for more helpful tips.HTH.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
The closest Triumph dealer says it will cost $300-400 of my daughter's college fund to have it fixed. ... So, it looks like I'll either be doing it myself, or Emma will have to sit in the garage for a long while.
Emma is your daughter, right? At least you have your priorities right!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, Emma is the T'bird. She's too big of a girl to take my daughter's room upstairs... so my daughter is safe for now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clear, I am looking at #27 "Seal kit, front fork" on this page, right?
Also, she feels loose(i.e. less friction, but not unstable) when turning the bars left and right... tightening #28 and #29 should tighten her back up, correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts