Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Soft front brake-resolved

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PeteH 
#1 ·
Over the last 6 months I felt my front brake was soft, the lever could be flexed back to my knuckle, though the bike would still stop well.

I had flushed the system with DOT4 Super with no real difference. I had measured the original Nissin pads and they were 2.0-3.0mm so felt they were a non-issue.

I had considered aftermarket braided brake flex hoses though a magnet confirms the stock flex hoses are metal braided under the black plastic sleeve, front and rear.

Yesterday, I changed pads for 'just cuz' reasons using EBC Double H (part FA196HH) and the lever engaged at about a 1/4" higher level, with a measureable stronger brake action.

EBC pads start at about 5mm new so the lesson learned here (at least in my case) is that pads at approx 2.0mm may be considered at 0 percentage and warrant replacement. For what it's worth...

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I should have asked...

yes...yes...I should have asked and would have been enlightened! BUT this proves that the Tiger forum tribe can truly evolve!

As an update, after 15 miles the pads have bedded in, the brake lever has firmed up about 1/2".

If I were to squeeze the front brake to the the prior point I 'd be taking a flight lesson straight ahead or at the least make the bike stand vertcal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.