Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By nature, I am a nice guy, love people and am friendly to all but when I get pissed off----watch out!

My son just underwent 8 hrs of spine surgery on Monday. So today I am at the hospital today visiting with my son and helping him eat when the hospital phone rings.

Me: Hello?
Caller: May I speak to Santos please?
Me: I'm sorry but you have the wrong number.

I hang up the phone and as soon as I am about to sit down again with my son, the phone rings again.

Me: (sigh) Hello?
Caller: Who is this?
Me: I'm David. Who are you and who do you want to speak to?
Caller: My name is Carmen and I'm looking for Santos.
Me: I'm really sorry but there is no Santos here.

I finish with my son and proceed to eat dinner with my wife when.......you guessed it.....the phone rings!

Me: Hello?!!!!?
Caller: Is Santos there?
Me: Listen lady, there is no friggen Santos here! Now don't call here again!! (slam the phone)

A couple hours later, much to my dismay, the phone rings yet again!!

Me: Hello!?!?!?!?!?!
Caller: Is Santos there?
Me: Maam? I'm really sorry and didn't want to have to tell you this over the phone. But Santos died. You might want to come to the hospital. I can't give you any details over the phone.

A few hours go by and my son asks me to go to the house and bring him a video game. So I drive home and back (30 miles) and see my wife talking to a fella and a lady. Hmm.

This guy approached my wife and asked her if she has a son named David. She says no but that she has a husband named David and this is when I turned the bend in the hallway with video game in hand and my wife says, "That right there is my husband David".

He tells me, "My name is Santos and this is my mother Carmen and you told her I was DEAD?! She drove 100 miles with my uncle. She was hysterical! Why did you do that?

Me: Was she happy to see you? Did she tell you whatever it was she called me eight times for? Have a good night.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
For a guy with such a big grin, you can be one cold dude.

Just remember, 50% of the population has below average intelligence.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Honestly, I don't really think ya'll that nice of a guy...I mean bro, you told some poor women, whose son was in the hospital, he was dead because she had the wrong phone number? I mean was it that physically and mentally demanding to answer a wrong number? It's not like she was a telemarketer.

I hope your son did well and the folks at the hospital providing care don't get quite so mean if he needs to bug them to take him to the bathroom or get him his pain meds. You know, answering that damn buzzer all day can just make you really crazy mean...

I'm sorry, having had many loved ones in the hospital for minor things that turned to have tragic endings, I really just think that's pretty effed up. I seriously wonder what your reaction would be had someone done this to you.

Wrong yes, effective at WHAT is my question?
:confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
years ago, when I was a kid, my family used to get a wrong number every Sat. night. Some dude would call up, probably drunk, and ask for Doris. My parents were patient, my sister was patient.....then, one night he calls again. My mother was going through the "there is no Doris here, Sir" speech, when I grabbed the phone:

Me: Look man, Doris is with me now.
Him: Silence.......
Me: She said she doesn't want anything to do with you any more.
Him: Silence......
Me: Don't be calling again, understand?
Him: click

I checked the papers for days looking to see if there was a dead Doris...but, nothing. He never called again.

The best answer to a wrong number was on Ruthless People.....:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I ever did something remotely like you said you did, I wouldn't be posting the details in a forum.

I'd more likely be screaming it into a pillow at night, hoping that I could forget about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I don't really think ya'll that nice of a guy...I mean bro, you told some poor women, whose son was in the hospital, he was dead because she had the wrong phone number? I mean was it that physically and mentally demanding to answer a wrong number? It's not like she was a telemarketer.

I hope your son did well and the folks at the hospital providing care don't get quite so mean if he needs to bug them to take him to the bathroom or get him his pain meds. You know, answering that damn buzzer all day can just make you really crazy mean...

I'm sorry, having had many loved ones in the hospital for minor things that turned to have tragic endings, I really just think that's pretty effed up. I seriously wonder what your reaction would be had someone done this to you.

Wrong yes, effective at WHAT is my question?
:confused:
It was effective in the sense that it got her to stop calling. She kept repeatedly calling after I had already told her (politely) that she had the wrong number. It's not a problem to answer the phone, but when I am taking care of my son recently released from ICU and she just keeps dialing and dialing........ yea, it is a problem.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Rude and inconsiderate. But that's just my opinion. There are much better and still effective ways of telling somebody that they have the wrong number.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rude and inconsiderate. But that's just my opinion. There are much better and still effective ways of telling somebody that they have the wrong number.
Rude and inconsiderate? On my part or hers? I told her at least 3x that she had the wrong number before telling her what I did and you can see that in my original post. She knew she was calling a hospital room, so if anything, it was she that was being inconsiderate.

Oh well......

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I must say I really don't blame you. Stupid people don't really deserve so many chances. It was kinda harsh but I bet she will not make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
623 Posts
She was a hundred miles away.
She probably had only that phone number to get a hold of her son. I have spent many days in the hospital.
They switch patients rooms.
It happens all the time.
She was probably confused. And worried.

I would have given her the number to the nurses station.

Ditto

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hogwylde, I think you did well. I most likely would not have shown such restraint after the 1st call. But don't judge by me as I have a reputation for being a rude, crude and obnoxious SOB to start with.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I still fail to see what you "taught" this woman...other than that people are generally cruel and heartless given the chance.

So you were having a emotional time, since your son was in surgery,and quite likely a bit sleep deprived. You were hurting and likely a little frustrated ( I spent WAY to much time in hospitals with both of my parents...a "good" stay is filled with anxiety and frustration and no major screwups or MRSA )...some person, who may or may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...benignly offends you. So you made her feel your pain and frustration.

Probably half the bar fights in this country start the same way...you're pissed at your girl, someone steps in front of you at the dart board, and next thing you know you're making someone hurt. Only on the outside, not on the inside like you are hurting.

The person who showed restraint was Santos. If you did that to my family, I would have cold cocked you with a fire extinguisher.

But then again, I believe in retroactive abortions...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts