Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member and have been loving this website. Must go on it at least 20x a day! :D

I recently purchased a 69 Bonne, and I don't have the knowledge on the history of these bikes like most of you guys in here. I would like to know a little more history on the bike I own, and just wanted to be a little more knowledgeable in these vintage bikes.

So my question is aren't all these models Bonnevilles? What differentiates one from the other...as cosmetically they are almost all identical to each other.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just paint job and carbs. Tiger/Tr6 are single carb, T120=Bonneville twin carb and different paint job. That's about it.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Just as TBS said, plus exhausts (sometimes) different tank and sometimes stainless steel mudgaurds (fenders) Basicly the same bikes with a fes cosmetic changes.

Webby

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
As they were only a year apart, I'll do the 1970 ones that I know of. These should be pretty close to the '69 specs.

Bonneville (T120R): Dual carbs, twin Windtone horns (usually), smaller gas tank (2 1/2 gallon, I believe) and different color and paint scheme.

Tiger (TR6R): Single carb, single horn and 4 gallon gas tank (although that may be Imperial gallon).

Trophy (TR6C): "Off road" model; Single carb, single horn, 2 1/2 gallon tank, steering damper, "kill button", smaller headlight, speedometer only (no tach), dual high mounted pipes on l.h. side with heat shield, no centerstand, stainless fenders w/black supports, folding footpegs, "bash plate" under engine, Trials Universal tires and an 18 tooth front sprocket (the "road" models had 19 tooth ones). The Tiger and Trophy were painted the same color but the Tiger had painted fenders.

Now, as I said, this is basically for the '70 models; the '69 Bonneville may well have had stainless fenders, but the '70 Bonnie had painted ones with chrome supports as did the Tiger.

....and, as always, please remember that the memory of the "village idiot" is in its fading period: Jim

·
Super Moderator
12,582 Posts
As you can see from the replies, the difference is "NOT MUCH".

From there, it's 33% cosmetic differences (paint, fenders, pipes), 33% mechanical differences (gearing and carburation) and 33% oil storage differences.

More people seem to prefer the dual-carb Bonnevilles over the single-carb models, and more seem to prefer the 1970 and earlier oil tank models over the 1971 and later oil-in-frame models.

In relative terms to any modern bike, they are so similar as to be the same thing, performance-wise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts