Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's sad to say, that I will be moving on from a Street Triple like TL2Bass, to this:

2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory

The Streety was a good one, but onto a little more sexier.

I'll check in here and there, and if you're ever in the WNC / Deal's Gap area and you see a fat guy on a Tuono, it's me.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh my!! I just bought a (used) 750 Shiver to go along with my fleet of bikes. It's a fun bike and different from any of the other 4 I own. I just don't think I'm man enough for the Tuono though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been lusting after the 2016 Tuono Factory ever after seeing one. I am very curious what your impression is and how it compares to the Street.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've driven the Aprilia tuono(not factory) and rsv4(factory)...tuono is very planted which surprised me. Makes more power obviously and can power the front end up in 3rd easily. It felt a little tall for my taste.. not my feet but my head felt like it was up high.

I didn't have extended time on it so I was slower than when I'm on my street triple R. Each bike holds its own very much so.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It is my understanding that the range of pre-2016 Tuonos is somewhat limited. How is the new one? How many miles of city/highway driving do you get per tank?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Enjoy and be safe! I test drove a non-factory version two years ago and was very impressed.

Do us a favor if you can remember and come back on at the end of summer and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It is my understanding that the range of pre-2016 Tuonos is somewhat limited. How is the new one? How many miles of city/highway driving do you get per tank?
I work offshore and won't get it until next week. When I do, I'll check the MPG.

The only riding I do is either in the mountains or track, so I can you you a hauling butt through the mountains MPG LOL

I'll still be around and lurking.... And I will post a total review compared to the Street.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
...I'll check in here and there, and if you're ever in the WNC / Deal's Gap area and you see a fat guy on a Tuono, it's me.
I have a buddy who lives in N. Ga who also frequents that area on his Tuono. He's also...um...well fed, so there very well could be two of you there occasionally.

;)

Enjoy the new bike; it certainly does look the business.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Aprilia is a beautiful bike, looks like an alright upgrade to me. Have you already sold the Street Trip? How long did it take to sell and what was your price if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Aprilia is a beautiful bike, looks like an alright upgrade to me. Have you already sold the Street Trip? How long did it take to sell and what was your price if you don't mind me asking?
$5500.00

I picked the bike up, only have about 50 miles on it. So this is basically the first shakedown run.

But I can say this is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. The motor feels like a liter bike and diesel F-250 had a baby. It's smooth, and it pulls like a tractor. But not the kind of pulling that hits hard like a liter bike. It just never stops.

Handling is good. Better than the Street Triple, but different too. It seems way more controlled. Its hard for me to explain, but it makes you wanna go faster.

Like I said. I only have 50 miles on the bike. And haven't been past 8k rpm. I can only imagine what it like past that, probably insane.

Anyway, here are a few pics:

Brand new at the dealership:

Headed home:

After first ride:

1/4" chicken strips on the tires, but, like I said I only have 50 miles on a new bike so I'm taking it easy for the first couple hundred.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Remember...those are "safety: strips. ;)

That has to be the most gaudy, the most "look at me" paint scheme I've ever seen on a bike...

...I absolutely LOVE IT!

Enjoy your new bike. If they ever make one of those in a 400-600cc size, I just might be tempted.

Reactions: 225

·
Registered
266 Posts
But I can say this is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. The motor feels like a liter bike and diesel F-250 had a baby. It's smooth, and it pulls like a tractor. But not the kind of pulling that hits hard like a liter bike. It just never stops.

Handling is good. Better than the Street Triple, but different too. It seems way more controlled. Its hard for me to explain, but it makes you wanna go faster.
I am curious, in your view, does the Tuono demand more skill from the rider? I like the Striple's politeness, it made it very easy for me to transition from a maxi scooter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love that bike. I'm looking at supernakeds and am torn between the Tuono and S1000R. Unfortunately the 3 Aprilia dealers near me don't do test rides...

Did you consider any other bikes?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts