Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I love my thrux have had it for about 5 months and have well over 7k miles. Needles to say I love riding the bike. But I want to simplify it as much as I possible can so I was wondering if you guys could help. I want to clean up the wiring.

I've gotten rid of:
Rear Fender
AI
EVAP
Horn
Turn signals
Sprocket Cover
Chain Guard
FEK

Under the seat there is a connector that says EVAP on it and was wondering if I could remove this without problems.
Also I would like to get rid of the kick stand safety wiring, but want to make sure it wont mess anything up.

I just want a really clean simple look inside and out. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys I love my thrux have had it for about 5 months and have well over 7k miles. Needles to say I love riding the bike. But I want to simplify it as much as I possible can so I was wondering if you guys could help. I want to clean up the wiring.

I've gotten rid of:
rear fender
AI
EVAP
Horn
Turn signals

Under the seat there is a connector that says EVAP on it and was wondering if I could remove this without problems.
Also I would like to get rid of the kick stand safety wiring, but want to make sure it wont mess anything up.

I just want a really clean simple look inside and out. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
I don't know anything about the EVAP connector but I did remove my kick stand safety wiring without any problems.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You may need the horn for it to pass inspection, signals too, although I guess you could use hand signals, not sure how visible they'd be at night or w/ inattentive cagers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As inaudible to other drivers as it may be, you should keep the horn. You may already know this but you can mount the horn under the tank where the AI was.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
...I want to simplify it as much as I possible can so I was wondering if you guys could help. I want to clean up the wiring.

I've gotten rid of:
rear fender
AI
EVAP
Horn
Turn signals

...I just want a really clean simple look inside and out. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Sounds like you making a somewhat street legal track bike! Okay, according to the AMA, you're not quite legal with the turn signals gone...

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=nv

Have you ditched the sprocket cover and chain guard yet?
All the passenger peg stuff? The front fender (it doesn't rain there, right?)?

As far as wiring goes, the carb heaters are optional...the TPS is needed, though, with stock carbs. What I do with race bikes is keep in mind where the wires run and try and find locations for things that minimize wiring length & keep the weight as low/forward as possible.

Then there's the every popular replacement route to shave weight...the headlight and instruments are hugely heavy and need a diet as well...there's miniguages and 5-3/4" headlights/mounts that would do the job as well or better & with less weight....2-into-1 pipes are generally lighter, adapt super light bike mirrors as bar ends...etc...etc.....

Sounds like a fun endeavor.

Enjoy,

--Rich

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you making a somewhat street legal track bike! Okay, according to the AMA, you're not quite legal with the turn signals gone...

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=nv

Have you ditched the sprocket cover and chain guard yet?
All the passenger peg stuff? The front fender (it doesn't rain there, right?)?

As far as wiring goes, the carb heaters are optional...the TPS is needed, though, with stock carbs. What I do with race bikes is keep in mind where the wires run and try and find locations for things that minimize wiring length & keep the weight as low/forward as possible.

Then there's the every popular replacement route to shave weight...the headlight and instruments are hugely heavy and need a diet as well...there's miniguages and 5-3/4" headlights/mounts that would do the job as well or better & with less weight....2-into-1 pipes are generally lighter, adapt super light bike mirrors as bar ends...etc...etc.....

Sounds like a fun endeavor.

Enjoy,

--Rich
beemerrich, you pretty much hit it on the head. I am going for a street bike that is as close to a track bike as I can get which is pretty much a track bike with plate and brake/headlight.

I really don't have to worry about 100% street legal. As long as I have a brake and head light cops wont mess with me because I am one.;) So everything else that doesn't NEED to be their for the bike to run I want off!!!!!

BTW do you have a link for optional headlight or gauges?

·
Registered
249 Posts
man that picture does no justice to that amazing tank!

to kolya: ive been wanting to do the same thing to my bike for a while. i really want to get rid of Most of the wiring and be able to see through the bike. remove the sidecovers and everything behind them. now if they only made a really small high-powered battery!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I really don't have to worry about 100% street legal. As long as I have a brake and head light cops wont mess with me because I am one.;) So everything else that doesn't NEED to be their for the bike to run I want off!!!!!

BTW do you have a link for optional headlight or gauges?
My bmw is a track bike that I have retrofitted with headlight, taillight, one mirror, and horn (bulb-type) to make me psuedo-legal here in Michigan. Technically, I need turn signals since the bike had them originally....I've been corrected by a LEO on another forum for 'disseminating inaccurate information' about Michigan's motor laws, so now I always try to stay within the legal framework about what you can and cannot remove. Disclaimer: anything I write is just my opinion...this is just how I choose to do things and it ain't legal advice!!

The pictured bike is my bmw racer in a couple different street configurations. The bigger headlight is an emgo....

http://www.triumphrat.net/attachments/twins-technical-talk/12915d1237323891-bouncy-bits-mvc-008s.jpg

....and the smaller is off an old ducati single (attached pic). Bates headlights are the classic 5-3/4" diameter ones...they're all over ebay.

There's been several threads on the twin talk forum about 'mini gauges'...my favorite speedo is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/onrouw

It's a V-Twin manufacturing unit with 4 indicator lights, so you don't have to lose your idiot lights (unless, of course, that's your goal). There's a matching Tacho if you want the extra weight or you can simply rely on your rev limiter...

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

--Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Koyla, in order to get rid of everthing you don't need, ...send me the bike.

You don't need it.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
now if they only made a really small high-powered battery!
Gil,Matt Hotch will make you a battery that can be TINY,for about $600. Yikes. Its a cell phone type unit that puts out major juice.The one I`m using is a little smaller than stock size,but has the same ratings.

·
Registered
260 Posts

.....i would imagine you would ticket a guy on the same bike your building??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

.....i would imagine you would ticket a guy on the same bike your building??
I don't pull over motorcycles unless they are going +10 over, and even then I wouldn't cite for no turn signals or other bs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rodburner, is that battery significantly lighter than stock or is it pretty much the same?

·
Registered
709 Posts
"I don't pull over motorcycles unless they are going +10"

So you wouldda busted me today for 55 over?
Sheeessshhh. Picky, Picky!
Redhawk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts