Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I had to quit because the setting darkness.

It started out to be a simple cut and trim to the rear fender. I just wanted to round the corners of the stock fender. Well an hour later and two jig-saw blades later I have a hacked up mess that is almost as high as the turn signals.

I could buy the kit, but anyone have any success doing it yourself? If so...shoot me some pics would you or post how you did it. Thanks...

·
Registered
336 Posts
So, let me get this straight....

You wasted an hour of your time and two jig-saw blades making a complete mess that provided zero performance improvements and left something that is clearly obvious for everyone to see?

Man, that's a bummer. :flam: :pkit:

I have some nice bolts for sale for $50 if you are interested.

:hammer:

JOHN

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just removed the fender (all but the "pointy" part) then used the same bolts holding it on to install a galvanised 2x4 bracket from Lowe's. I had to drill new holes in my licence plate for it to work, but it works.

I went ahead and integrated my blinkers into my taillight, but you could easily find a bracket that would accommodate your blinkers as well. I've done this with my last two bikes, total cost: $2. It doesn't look very good when you're staring right at it, but from normal views of the bike (not underneath the ***** thing) you can't even tell it's there.

Of course, this method removed my licence plate light, but I didn't really care. I might round up some LED bolts one of these days, but it's not high on my list.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
What year is your bike? I have instructions for 97-01 models. Now that you've gone and hacked the fender, you might want to get a kit... D'OH!

·
Registered
583 Posts
sound's like you shouldn't have, but i did mine myself, just got rid of everything fender and made a bracket that oldly enought looks the exact same as

that was one from newspeed3, but if you have access to a bending break or vice this is very easy to fab up, they charge 70 bucks, cost me like 3 dollers and a half hour.i used stock turn signals

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Dude... invest in a dremel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 01 S3. Any instructions would be great. I haven't hacked it up too horribly bad. My big air compressor is down which is why I couldn't use my air dremel. I will pick up an electric dremel kit tomorrow.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If your fender is yellow, anything you did probably made it look better. :hammer:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-11-10 17:07, graciejohn2 wrote:
So, let me get this straight....

You wasted an hour of your time and two jig-saw blades making a complete mess that provided zero performance improvements and left something that is clearly obvious for everyone to see?

Man, that's a bummer. :flam: :pkit:

I have some nice bolts for sale for $50 if you are interested.

:hammer:

JOHN
John,

On the contrary, I wasn't looking for performance improvement. I am just improving on the looks. By tomorrow morning, things will be looking quite nicely.

And there was no expenses incurred...because I bought nothing. Actually...today is my Veteran's Day holiday...so I was actually getting paid to work on my bike.

Still much better then throwing down $50 on two bolts I think! :cool:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The kit includes the license plate bracket, the ss plates you can see in the pic, and a ss plate for the back of the batterybox. You can see it in front of the hugger with the triangle sticler on it. It also comes with detailed instructions. You will like the look, I promise. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts