Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short on the crash, someone turned left in front of me. Low side crash. I was going around 15 mph. Minor road rash and rotator cuff damage is all I got out of it. Now the bike...it's a little more bruised. Just from a quick glance, my mechanic said I likely will need new forks. The front fender was bent and the seals on the left fork gave out. Leaked a lot of fluid. Going to either handlebar needed as it was bent. Will need a new fuel tank or have the current tank repaired and repainted. Both lights on the left need replaced as well as the tach and headlight. The master cylinder/clutch lever assembly will need replaced. There is some other minor damage on the foot rests.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do. My mechanic said get a list of the parts and prices together and he will put a quote for repairs.

Anyone have experience with what the insurance company will do? How much will they typically cover before it is totaled out? Is the bike worth repairing?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually I had a similar accident last year. If the cost is more than 75% of the value they will consider a total loss. Luckily my bike only had 6000 miles on it and most was cosmetic stuff. Pretty much like your except the forks. They offered me 2000 as the value of the bike. If you agree they pay and case is closed then you pay your deductible and a $500 charge to buy the bike back from the insurance. The trick is not to agree to their book value. I found similar Tbs' online between 4800-7000$ with more mileage than mine. They can't close the case until you agree to a fair compensation. Especially when it's somebody else's fault. My bike was at the shop for almost 3 weeks while I negotiated and the shop kept charging the insurance the $200 for initial estimate of repairs plus $50/day of storage. They finally paid me over $5800 after the deductible and the $500 to buy the bike back. That money did include my $400 helmet damage as well. I only agreed to all of this as in NJ there is a law that states if a vehicle is more than 8 years old it can't get a salvage title. So now I have a rebuilt TBS with a clean and clear title. Pm me if you want and I can gladly give you more advice over the phone.

Zee
2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
2010 BMW F650GS

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The storage and shop charges for the estimate were paid to the shop separately by the insurance.

Zee
2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
2010 BMW F650GS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah if this is older bike pre-2006 and the damages are 75%-50% they will consider the bike totaled. Also it's cheap to payout the then to repair and all the damaged you mention already I bet it will be totaled.
Also for insurance companies most motorcycle accidents regardless of minor or major damages for older bikes over 7 years usually are totaled due to fact they don't want risk insuring accident bikes for the possibility that repairs might not fix damage properly and can lead to another accident. You can find another triple for cheap and maybe with less miles and better condition before you got into an accident. Good luck shopping. Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Glad you are ok, good luck with your bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts