Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple things. The Sprint, Speed Triple and Tiger have the same engine (1050) and have 3 differerent horsepower ratings like 120hp, 127hp and 131hp approx respectively, why? The new Daytona 675 is rated at 126, does that mean the 675 is actually Triumphs fastest? Why not a Daytona 1050? finally how much power could Triump engineers get out of the 1050 if they really tried?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 1050 engine is simply a stroked 955, IIRC the 1050 engine at redline is approaching 19.1ms TDC to BTDC which is about the limit for the connecting rods, gudgeons etc to maintain a fair level of reliability.
Yes you can get more power from the 1050 (lighter valves, stronger valve springs, Titanium rods, turbo, supercharger etc) but where do you draw the line for cost on a mass produced machine?

Rumour has it that Triumph have an all new 1100 triple in developement to replace the 1050, expect some more performance from this mill... but we ride in the real world not the race track & that is where, IMHO, Triumph have delivered a range of machines that excell in "Real World' performance.

Could the 1050 produce 160-180bhp... Short answer is Yes... but how reliable would it be?!?! thats another question entirely.

Cheers, G

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
RickyT,
you missed the old Daytona 955 that ceased production in 2006 that makes 147hp, more tha ll that you have noted.

There are a lot of reasons different engines of the same capacity can make different HP, it isn't all about size you know:D

Tuning, different cylinder heads, different compression ratios, different con rods and valves, the reasons are endless.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my question was why would you bother having one engine for three somewhat similar bikes and have them turn out three different HP's. Seems to me it would be more cost effective to have identical engines in all three bikes. I could see if one was a Daytona type sport bike vs a more adventure touring based Tiger where gearing would be different which may affect peak horsepower but it seems at lease the Sprint and Speed Triple are pretty similar

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You are missing the real reason why hp is different on each bike. It's all about power delivery and not power itself. The hp number is peak hp and not useable hp. The tiger is lower but develops more hp and torque in the midrange than the sprint. To achieve that power delivery for the tiger it came at a sacrfice in hp. The tiger will still produce 77hp and 50ftlbs torque at 4000rpm where the sprint does it at say 5500rpm. The triple uses different cams (I think) and has a different power delivery need.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I guess my question was why would you bother having one engine for three somewhat similar bikes and have them turn out three different HP's. Seems to me it would be more cost effective to have identical engines in all three bikes. I could see if one was a Daytona type sport bike vs a more adventure touring based Tiger where gearing would be different which may affect peak horsepower but it seems at lease the Sprint and Speed Triple are pretty similar
The simple and sensible answer to that is cost effective to do the exact opposite of what you stated. Vehicle manufacturers have been doing this for decades. Why build and develop a completely new engine for each model in the range?

To give you some examples the Sprint and Tiger may be similar, but the riding experience is quite different. The Speed Triple is something else again.

Then we have the Bonny/Thruxton/Scrambler/Speed Master line up. Somehow I wouldn't be taking a Speed Master up the same bush tracks that my Scrambler calls home.

The latest is the 675 mill. Its awesome in the Daytona and appeals to the hooligan in some of us in the Street Triple and now the upspec Street Triple R. Its also easier on my back. More than a few of us have commented that it would work well as a "light tourer", perhaps as a little sister to the Sprint. Personally I reckon the 675 engine would also work well as an adventure tourer and give the likes of KTM and BMW a run.

So theres ten bikes powered by three engines, with room for more. Does that go someway to answering your question?

Brett.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I was wondering today why they got rid of the Daytonas. It seems triumph has made a bike to compete in all major categories of bikes so why not a 1000cc sportbike?

Unless they consider the sprint to be both categories.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I was wondering today why they got rid of the Daytonas. It seems triumph has made a bike to compete in all major categories of bikes so why not a 1000cc sportbike?

Basically it comes down to the competition and what they are doing and the 955 'tona just couldn't keep up with them or sales. The way liter sport bikes have evolved into what they have with the other brands they have gone way past hooligan into the mental arena.
The Daytona has always been a thinking man's sport bike. Very very good but the numbers especially the weight got to it.

Personally, if Triumph made a 750 with the cojones to match the size and weight of the 675 I'd be the first in line with cash in hand.

Don

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That makes sense don, I will probably never sell the sprint after what I've gone through with her and still have to go through. But as much as I love the bike I am a lover of variety so adding a sporty bike is in the somewhat near future. (near being 3-4years) A 1000cc sport bike would be killer, but I guess I'd settle for a 675.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I just thought of something, Triumph should make a Sprint ST-R which would include a much racier engine, USD front end, shorter gears, and maybe a set of clip-ons. That'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just thought of something, Triumph should make a Sprint ST-R which would include a much racier engine, USD front end, shorter gears, and maybe a set of clip-ons. That'd be pretty cool.
They did something like that and called it the "Sprint RS". I'm still lusting after a nice black one with a TOR pipe. IMHO the RS is still one of the single best motorcycles for its time.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
i would tend to agree Beach. There is just something real special about them. Hmmmm maybe that should be my next bike......

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Got to be an 04 black.

Then I would change the rims to the 08 S3 rims...... buy one of those fancey Trident gp exhaust stubbies or a convert a chain reation dual s3 sytem to fit the RS..... finish it off with some red pinstriping and voila, a bad boy beauty.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Ricky in the 1050 models, they are exactly the same engine. It is ECU mapping, airbox variations and exhaust systems that "tune" the torque and HP settings on the 3 1050 models.

Also the Tiger, S3 and Sprint each have different front/rear sprocket ratios to "tune" the responsiveness/acceleration. Finally the Tiger actually has a higher ratio 6th gear to make a proper overdrive to overcome the lower final drive (sprocket) ratios. So the variations are done about as cheaply as possible and I think are there for marketing reasons as much as tuning the power delivery.

Russ

·
Registered
488 Posts

Triumph has been most successful when they build bikes that do not compete exactly with the Japanese. The Speed Triple, Street Triple, Rocket 3, D675, Scrambler and Bonneville have no direct Japanese competition and/or have unique fundamental features. When Triumph has taken a more direct competing role (like the Daytona 600 and Trophy 1200) things tended to be less successful.

Since Triumph is carefully run and must make a profit, they are cautious about bringing out new models. I wouldn't count out a new big Daytona at some point in the future, but I couldn't hazard a guess when that would happen or what the details would be other than to think it'll be something special relative to the competition out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts