Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing nothing but reading for the past 2 hours about tuneboys and such.

Can someone answer me this?

What type of difference in overall feel/performance will one gain from going from a factory ToRS tune to a Tuneboy with appropriate tune?

I can see for sure the ability to dump the codes as a great thing, but I am trying to warrant a TB purchase considering the dealer only charged me $20 to load the ToRS tune.

help.. its late and my brain is fried... :???:

Should add current bike 03 S3 has stock air filter, have not removed SAI and has aftermarket high exhaust. My bad

[ This message was edited by: Prestimp on 2006-12-01 03:17 ]

· Registered
629 Posts
Tuneboy allows custom tuning on dyno. Every bike is a bit different and you get best performance gains with good custom tuning. So everytime you change your exhaust, air filter or whatever, you basically need to have the bike retuned. Or at least that would be the optimum.

With tuneboy you get to do everything yourself. Factory tunes has to be downloaded by the dealers. And factory tunes are available only to factory accessories, not for example after market exhausts.

:)

[ This message was edited by: premier on 2006-12-01 03:30 ]

· Banned
5,286 Posts
I dunno prestimp, if ya know someone that's purdy suave with a TB, I think it's worth buy'n the key, and using there tuneboy to load a tune atleast. If I ever get the time and $, I wanna head down to Bammy and let Devi fine tune ol' yeller fer me. He's had some very impressive #'s outta his bike. :-D

· Registered
491 Posts
Some of the fuel mapping that Triumph put out is a little rough and ready.

Fine tuning is the thing with tuneboy, plus all the diagnostic stuff you get with it.

If you're happy with the Triumph tune then don't buy Tuneboy. If you think you might want to play with your mapping, run diagnostic tests etc it's the only way you can do it, rather than have a dealer do it.

· Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2006-12-01 03:09, Prestimp wrote:

What type of difference in overall feel/performance will one gain from going from a factory ToRS tune to a Tuneboy with appropriate tune?

Should add current bike 03 S3 has stock air filter, have not removed SAI and has aftermarket high exhaust. My bad
My setup was the same as yours, until recently when I added a K & N. I also ran the TORs tune for a couple of months prior to getting a Tuneboy. I am using the "Wayne MacDonald" tune, and it runs smoother especially under light throttle (cruising), with more power from mid range on up. The only downside is that it sucks more gas. But the nice thing about TB is you can easily change tunes depending on your purpose. I'm not obsessive about squeezing every last bit of power out, so I may never have it custom tuned. If you like to tweak and can afford it, it's the way to go.

· Registered
919 Posts
If all you have done is install an aftermarket exhaust then you are fine with the TORS tune. You could improve power & response a bit with Tuneboy but it's probably not worth it. Where Tuneboy really shines is when you make additional mods and need more extensive remapping. Plus it lets you do lots of other things like change the ignition timing, change the speedo calibration, read & reset error codes, etc. Great tool, but not necessary for the average owner. I have not bought one yet myself but soon, very soon.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for adding your experiences and thoughts on TB.

Factory ToRs tune, so far yes happy, I guess the question is I dont know what I am missing... One of the real issues I am seeing is the thought of pulling error codes that are stored. Since ownership I have had the MIL come on once, after a few "cycles" the light turned off on its own.

I would certainly like to have had a TB then to determine what the fault was. Even though it went out, there are so many things it could have been, the worry on my part was it happened on one of the warmest days I have ridden and did alot of sitting at traffic lights.

Having bought my bike at the end of the season I have no idea if it was related to the warmer day or not, as I have been riding in the cooler 40-65 range in temps. The day in question was nearly 75 outside.

Dropping codes from my experience in the auto world (VW/Audi) has proved invaluable. I am thinking it has to be the same here.

As far as dyno time on my bike. I dont even know of any place I would trust in the NH area for this task, nor if they can use a TB or only a Power Commander.

There any users on here that have purchased a TB and have not specifically used it for further dyno? Meaning just for fault codes and some basic playing around? That seems like a strange idea to get a $400-500 or whatever tool to just mess around...

Ok I am babbling at this point. TB seems worth it.. just so many other things I have to consider for next springs purchase list. Hehe

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Martin and Goffe, thanks thats exactly the type type of answers I was looking for.

Cheap - Do you get commission on every one you refer to Devi for TB questions.... :jest: :jest:

Premier - thanks for the input

Et All - for concerns to factory tunes, if it doesnt list w/ SAI then that would mean that the block off plates and SAI removal has been performed? This is regarding looking at the
Tuneboy Lists? I know the answer is probably yes, just trying to confirm.

This is a mod I would like to do this winter time permitting, getting rid of some of that popping on decel would be nice! To many cops I see looking up when I see them an come off throttle... hehe

· Registered
3,343 Posts
Proper dyno tuning to get optimal A/F ratios in your mapping should also greatly improve your fuel economy. After custom mapping my bike I got as good as 52 mpg on the freeway maintaining 80mph...

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
50+ mph... :bow:

Thats some great input, performance and economy... hey you sure they belong in the same sentence? :-D

Have you folks had a hard time getting dyno corrections with TB? Seems the last 2 places I have called have experience with PCs but not with TB.

· Registered
3,343 Posts
If the shop is any good, they should be able to figure out the Tuneboy software using the tutorials on the Tuneboy website.

As far as performance/fuel economy balancing out goes, I've got an article about a 400+ hp Subaru WRX STI which reportedly got 40+ mpg in the 'daily driver' part of the test. Anything is possible with the right tweaks & mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.