1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

Okay, I'm very, VERY :hammer: close to buying a new Sprint. Only two hold-ups:

1. ABS or not?
I didn't have much luck with a search on the subject, and haven't read much in the magazines about the quality of the system. Again, I'm worried about having a parking lot type tip-over, and having the ABS system cause troubles (One of the guys on Long Way Round had that happen to him. Lost his brakes completely- the system went T.U.)

2. 2006 or 2007?
- I LOVE the '06 Sunset Red color enough for that to be the deciding factor... but the press on the '07 says the new models have an improved injection system.
- The '07 has taller handle bars, and being 6' 2" I think the shorter 2006 bars would fit me better.

At the moment I'm giving the '06 the nod thanks to that beautiful color. But I really need to know more about the ABS which does appeals to me...

BTW, while spending the last few days going through all my MC back issues, I noticed the MSRP on the 2002 ST; $10,899 without bags... 4 years and a new model later without a price increase- gotta like that! :-D

Thanks guys!

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Gee, I wish that they were that price in Oz. Add another 4 K for our price..

FWIW I'd go the 07 ABS. I saw a video of an emergency braking around a sweeping corner on the ST and thought WOW :drool:

If it is no extra - grab it and run then put on lower 06 bars if you so desire. The resale alone is probably worth the improvements and f**k the colour.

My $0.02 AUD worth

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the 06 and it's great, no complaints (apart from dumb seat mounting system, see previous post).

One problem is the amount of heat coming off the engine / exhaust on to my right leg. I hear the 07 has an improved heat shield.

Regarding ABS - my opinion is that it's just something else to go wrong, but hey if the pricing for you is the same then go for it.

UK T.W.O. magazine recently did an ABS vs non-ABS test with Sprint STs and found the ABS helped with emergency braking.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Randy - I have never had much luck with the search function either but be assured that the ABS vs non ABS discussion has come up several times in the last 12 months.

If you want to find them you will have to spend a bit of time trawling back through the old threads but it could be worth it.

The ABS is active from 6 or 7mph and up so is unlikely to prevent a parking lot tip over that you mention.

I havent heard of any reliability issues - it is fairly well proven technology now.

ABS wont stop you falling off in every situation eg if you are cornering hard and grab the brakes your front tire can wash out without it locking up.

Also I doubt that the ABS will improve stopping distances much on a dry clean road where lock up is unlikely anyway.

The main advantage for me is emergency braking on a wet or dirty road where lock up is a real possibility.In these conditions without ABS you will either not brake as hard as you could or too hard and go down.Either way - it could be a sticky end.

I see it as one more thing on my side along with training,and good protective gear to help keep me safe.

Hopefully I'll never use - it'll still be the best US$700 I've spent for a long while.

Thats my 2c worth

And yes you are right - the Sunset Red is a fantastic colour - especially out in the sunlight

Grant :cool:

[ This message was edited by: iceman on 2006-11-22 03:31 ]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Surely Randy's concern was not that ABS would prevent a parking lot spill, but that such a spill may adversely affect the operation of the ABS?

I don't have ABS on my RS, but if I were upgrading, I think I'd opt for the added safety it offers when you have to hit them hard. Subject to a test ride of course! I've had it on my cars for years, and with the exception of lying snow, it is advantageous in all conditions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My commute takes me through some nice twisties with little visibility and lots of deer and elk, so ABS wasn't a difficult choice. I like that it isn't a linked system, and it is very unobtrusive in normal operation. The ABS system survived my low-speed get off without a hiccup, though I wish I could say the same for the plastics :wink:

The only problem I have had with it was entirely of my own making. When reinstalling the front wheel after a tire change, I didn't notice that the spacers on either side of the front axle aren't the same thickness and I switched them around. This caused the ABS sensor to hit the pulser ring and made the ABS light come on after a few miles. I stopped and rotated the ABS sensor so it wasn't hitting the ring and rode normally until I could switch the spacers around again. The brakes worked fine, though the ABS system was obviously inoperative and the ABS light was on.

My dealer had a red 07, and I also like the sunset red much better than the new red, so I'm very happy with the 06. Having an injection system that can start the bike quickly when cold would be nice, but it really isn't that bad and only takes a few seconds extra to get the bike running.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

My concern was if the bike tips over, would it foul the ABS system. Markml's post eases that concern. The areas I plan on riding see deer quite often; I've also seen elk the size of of old Dodge vans up in northern Cal. ... yeah, I'm thinking ABS could be a good idea.

Normally I'm right there with Steventhechef's take on the color, but man- have you seen that Sunset Red? :)

Thanks again! I really appreciate the input.

I'll keep y'all updated- with photos of course :-D

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!
BTW, my first post may have been misleading; the price I listed was base; ABS is another $1k

[ This message was edited by: RandyDTFR on 2006-11-22 09:17 ]

·
Registered
929 Posts
ah yes which color.....

I have silver and at the time the other colors were not even an option for me. I love it in silver still my number one choice.
downside is visiblity.

I found the blue too happy and the old red too magenta or raspberry.... with the black (usually my favorite).... the wind screen and nice details get lost. I think a matte dark charcoal would have been really cool.

the sunset red is about the only other color that interests me.
its hot!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Two wheels only magazine just did an article (oct 06) on the Sprint ABS V Non ABS using both expert and experienced rider.
Surprisingly the ABS came up very good and their conclusion was that this is the way of the future.
I have the ABS model and am very happy with it.
www.two.tv

Cheers Gavin.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mate,
if you love the Sunset red then get it. You can always up grade the bars and the seat if you wish. I would wait until 06 Sprints are on run out and you might be able to put a great deal. As for ABS, thats up to you but if you have ridden for some years without needing it then it won't hurt for a few more years. In the end all models of Sprints are great bikes and Triumph will keep improving them. Good luck on your decision and safe riding.

Cya The Tankman
:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
My $.02:

I haven't noticed any of the heat issues I've seen others talk about...especially the mags. At least, not since I took advantage of the warrenty heat shield fix.

As for the seat, I personally find it to be the best OEM seat of any motorcycle I've had the pleasure of riding for any length of time. Not to say that I won't upgrade to a Sargent, when the $$ present themselves.

As for the other items, I'd rather save a few bucks on a leftover '06 model and buy the pieces that matter to you (i.e. touring windscreen, or bar risers). I'd also splurge on the ABS, as it really is just another optional piece of insurance (e.g. better to have it and not need it...).

NOTE: I have an '06 Sunset Red w/ ABS, so I might be a bit bias. :razz:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:-D It is done. Thanks to everyone for all the help! Heres the scoop;

Friday my wife and I checked out Southern Cal. Triumph and had the good fortune of having a salesman start up an '06 ST. I didn't have my gear, so I couldn't go for a test spin, but being able to hear it run and give it a good looking over was golden. But, they didn't have the color I was after, so I chalked them up as plan "B"

Today my wife and I stopped at South Bay Triumph (a bit closer to home- i.e. 80 miles vs. 100) to see what they had. An hour later the paperwork and loan approval was complete- I am now the proud owner of an '06 Sunset Red ST. I'll be taking delivery of the bike Wed or Thursday afternoon :-D

The '06 bike seems to fit me better then the '07, with the lower bars and "taller" seat (being tall has its advantages sometimes). The '06 was also much less $ then the '07 after the discount & Triumph incentives. Even got a pretty good deal on the Triumph gel seat...

I'll post photos when I pick her up next week.

Thanks again!

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe!

[ This message was edited by: RandyDTFR on 2006-11-25 22:22 ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts