Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the old days, early 60's, I had a 57 or 58 650 Thunderbird, quickly got rid of the down pipes, and replaced them with the scrambler high pipes on the left side.
Seems like there was couple of ways to quite them down, a washer type device that you could turn, or a short extension maybe about 6 inch long made by Flanders?
Anyone remember anything about this?
Has anyone made a similar home made device?
Is there something currently on the market?
Any picture?
Thx

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I believe that VW tail pipes were a popular mod, but various companies make baffles to retrofit.

On here (somewhere) are instructions on how to make your own

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hmm,I used some VW Beetle tail pipes on a T140 some years ago.They looked cool and sounded fantastic,but I seem to remember they did'nt do a lot for the performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Took a washer and welded it to a bolt and installed in the goose neck drag pipes on my old panhead. Same thing was sold commercially and is supposed to give back mid range performance to bikes that had drag pipes on them. I didn't think I had a mid range power problem but had a problem with a cop that used to stick a stick up the exhuast pipe and said "it better hit something or your getting a ticket". It was his own personal war on open pipes. The washer thing saved me some tickets.

Mutt

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Snuff-r-nots suck. They do not do much to quiet down an exhaust if that is your goal. The description of a washer welded to a shaft is what they are. There was also a spring to add tension and a square washer that was cupped so the baffle would stay in the position you put it.

The problem is the exhaust pulses make these things flutter like crazy and the result is the hole for the shaft wears and gets bigger and the cupped square washer chews into the pipe.

There had been a set on my 305 Scrambler pipes with the aforemention damage evident when I got the pipes. I weled up the holes and made my own baffles that in my humble opinion look good and do a nice job of quieting down straight pipes while leaving a nice exhaust note. I'm pretty sure I posted about these once before when somebody asked about baffles.

Here are some pics of the baffles alone and mounted in the pipes. I think they make the pipes look like a pair of .50 BMG barrels.

They are made from a couple of pieces of chromed tubing cut from what was previously the handle on an electric snow thrower. Ends are billet aluminum that I turned on my lathe. Cap on the end of the baffles are copper plumbing caps held on with a sheet metal screw.

Holes are 1/4" and I determined the number of holes by calculating the area of the exhaust pipe diameter. I think the baffles are probably 1-1/2 times more area, maybe twice to avoid undue back pressure. No rejetting was required. You can do the math to determine the area for my baffles and then sizing up for your bike. I would think that you would need at least twice the area for a 650 that you would need for a 305 at the very least.

Assembly is fastened to the pipe with one long stainless socket head panhead screw.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Rob, did you press fit the steel in the aluminum? Excellent workman ship!
Yes and know. There were kind of a design on the fly thing. I was not sure how well they would work so I kinda winged it. They would have both been a press fit, but one is just a line fit and the screw that goes thru the pipe into the billet end continues into the baffle as well to keep it in place. I need to make a small mandrel to swage the loose one out a bit so it becomes a press fit.

Here is my original sketch for the baffles. Note that I had a screw retaining the baffle and a screw retaining the assembly into the exhaust pipe. I simplified it by moving the assembly retaining screw to peform both tasks.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob, thx for the follow up and drawing, found a piece of pipe today, and will start the lay out Monday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts