Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-D Its been icy cold and snowing here the past couple days and I got the word to stay home today.Since I don`t get paid for days like this [or holidays for that matter] I would normally be ticked off. BUT,yesterday while doing a service retirement about 5 blocks from my house,I made a great score.The house was being torn down and the young guy who bought the place said we could take anything we wanted before this weekends planned demo. BTW,I get this offer dozens of times a month and usually get lighting and cupboards and once a new garage door.[really,brand new in the box]but yesterday my bikers motherload. A 12x20' steel carport! About a year old.No roof panel damage.All I have to do is take it apart and bring it home.I`ll close in 2/3 of it,leave the sides open on the other 1/3 for sunny day work and finally get my bike out of the wifes domain. :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I thought Tacoma had mild winters. Is snow unusual? We're suppose to have a winter storm coming our way also. But if it's as accurate as all the other forecasts it probably won't happen. Wish I could be right 10% of the time in my job and still have a job.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff,I have to find a place to put it first,but your welcome to play in it.
Lox,we get a little snow a couple times a year and because its so infrequent,we don`t know how to drive in it. Lots of wrecks clog up the streets. Since everything I do at work is underground,if I can`t see the ground,I can`t dig in it.We had a drought this summer and the weatherguessers said we would have a very cold,dry winter. But in November we had record rainfall for a 1 month period and now snow.There`s only an inch on the ground at my house but 5" at my work base 20 miles away.Its the ice under the snow that causes the problems.We don`t get "dry" snow here.Just freeze,melt and re-freeze. Regarding the rain here,we get less average rainfall than Houston.We just spread it out over the whole year. :-D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here in the St. Louis area we don't get that much snow either, but we do get some every year, and people still forget how to drive in it. Just the hint of snow in the forecast sends mobs of people to the grocery stores to buy milk, eggs and bread, like they'll be snowed in for days. We got 20 inches back in 1980 and everything was shut down for just a day then. I like to think I could survive in my house for at least a day without starving, as long as I had beer in the frig. Maybe people just like making french toast when it snows.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Steve,

Sounds like a good project for a better reason.

Try to find a place out of the Wx to store the steel panels. If stacked and stored outside, they will all rust big time--if they are the painted type, the paint will pop off and the rust will begin. Most will last twenty or thirty years installed on the frame, but 2 months stacked up in the Wx will do em in.

Larry

[ This message was edited by: RedBird on 2006-11-28 22:22 ]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Enjoy your snow, as I took the Scrambler out here in North Carolina, where the temperature was 72 today. I saw your snow on television last night while watching the Seahawks/Packers footbal game.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gosh darn it Rodburner, I must live in the banana belt compared to you. :-D :-D

I might get a snow day thursday if the ice storm shows up.

Rick....................... :-D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rodburner - I saw the snow on MNF and couldn't believe that was really Seattle. I suppose we're in for the same delight in the NYC area this Monday.

BTW if you ever come across a set of Snap-On tools in one of your demos, let me know!!!!

P

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only an hour of light after work,but its moving along. Still have some leveling to do,then bring in some crushed rock to compact.Wouldn`t mind a cement floor,but I`m leaning toward a raised wood floor.[warmer] I ended up putting it in the backyard which will entail a gravel path to the street,but thats ok.Will be able to swap stuff from my current workshed to the little plastic shed,which ,being partly underground,will make fiberglassing parts easier.That little thing never freezes inside. :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.