Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may be setting my self up hear as a dumb ass but where is the snorkle on my bike ? i have read plenty about it but am still a little confused ?:confused:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Black rubber with a 90 degree bend in it...about the size of your fist. The air opening faces the front of the bike. At least this is what it looks like on the Bonnie--I have never seen one on the Speedy.

·
29,947 Posts
That is exactly what it is.

On the speedmaster the airbox is set up a bit differently from the bonnie, the snorkle is under the seat, and faces forward. It's a rubber piece, the opening is sort of rectangular and has a rib in it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have been curious about this myself. from what i gather, the snorkel is a bit restrictive, no?

am i correct in thinking that removal of the snorkel will result in a little more volume on the back end?

i'd like to do something to increase the volume-sometimes i can't even tell my bonnie is running. i'd like more of that classic triumph sound anyway-unfortunately i can't afford to do any serious mods right now.

is it worth taking that sucker off?

·
29,947 Posts
Removing the snorkel will make a difference to the sound - but not much. You need to change the pipes to get a real difference. At least go to TORs, or better yet, get a pair of predators!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Before my Thruxton, I had a Scrambler and I found it had more pickup and grunt w/ the snorkel removed. You could probably add a K&N air filter and remove the snorkel along with the stock pipes and notice something. You'll probably have to turn up the a/f mix a little to compensate.

I think (depending on who you talk to and what web site you visit) that if you add TORs and nothing else, (keep in snorkel and stock a/f) you dont have to rejet. But as you add more air to the bike by removing the above and also have more open pipes, you may have to do the rejet.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Its in between the flippers and the googles, and if you remove it the bike wont run under water......
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts