Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of Rivco's new center stand for the Rocket. They should be ready for prime time in the next few months.

-brent

·
Registered
88 Posts
The burning question though.... How do I get my 800+ pound rocket onto the center stand. I took me quite a bit of strength to getm my 650 trophy on its stand and it had a nifty handle to help.

TBird :???:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-12-29 08:40, NYTBird wrote:
The burning question though.... How do I get my 800+ pound rocket onto the center stand. I took me quite a bit of strength to getm my 650 trophy on its stand and it had a nifty handle to help.

TBird :???:
If they do it right, it won't be a problem. I watched a dealer put a Honda Goldwing onto its center stand with zero effort. :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know that my old '78 Yamaha XS1100E is easy to put on the centerstand because they designed a hand grip on the frame beside the seat directly above the foot pad of the stand. By pushing down on the stand foot pad and pulling straight up on the hand grip, the geometry proved to be "just right" and the effort was very minimal. Getting the bike "off" the centerstand was easier while being straddle of the bike &, with a quick rocking action, rearing back & then thrusting forward, the bike would roll itself off the stand, at which point (and after some practice) you would simply hit the front brake as soon as the stand collapsed up to the frame, to maintain control of the "roll off" action.

If Triumph addresses this new stand in the same manner, the Rocket should be no more challenging, except for another 80 or so pounds (depending on how equipped, the old Yamaha is 625 lbs dry wt).

It does, however, appear that the lever arm of the centerstand pictured would appear somewhat shorter than the Yamaha style stand and with the greater weight, might prove to be a bit clumbsy. The foot pad (if you can call it a "pad" at all) looks too small for applying ample force against. I'll stick with the "leave it at home" design I have & be happy. Besides, how often would you really need to put the Rocket on a centerstand while out joy riding. Typically I only wished to put the old Yamaha on centerstand during maintance, upgrades and storage.

First Captain to get one of these MUST give us all a review comment.

See ya.

[ This message was edited by: rusty on 2006-12-29 20:18 ]

·
Registered
167 Posts
TBird brings up a good point. The Rocket is a heavy bike. Having a Gold Wing myself I know it can get away with a centerstand because it was designed to have one and it has a handle just above the saddlebag that enables it to lift up onto the centerstand pretty easily. The Rocket on the other hand doesn't, which means you are going to have to find something on it to grab onto and give it a go.
The Gold Wing, even though it goes on the centerstand fairly easily, is still a lot to handle especially if you don't have the right shoes on to press down on the stand, also depends on the surface it sits on.
If Rivco makes this design work well it would have some obvious benefits as far as cleaning, doing maintenance, etc... but I eagerly await some "first hand" testing reports on this...cuz I see some hernias on the horizon if it doesn't work well.
Dennis

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
any ideas on cost? I would think it connects to the eyelets under the engine...is there anymore info out there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dare say, not less than $319.95. That's their price on a Valkyrie stand. I'll make my own leave at home lift. If I engineer it right :hammer: I'll lift either the front or back depending on the needs; and, I'm thinking about $55-75 for parts and welding. :razz:

·
Registered
632 Posts
On 2006-12-30 19:57, HeR3tic wrote:
I dare say, not less than $319.95. That's their price on a Valkyrie stand. I'll make my own leave at home lift. If I engineer it right :hammer: I'll lift either the front or back depending on the needs; and, I'm thinking about $55-75 for parts and welding. :razz:
Money well spent in my opinion... The bije should have been built with one or at least it should've been an option!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-12-29 20:22, Molinoman wrote:
The Rocket is a heavy bike. Having a Gold Wing myself I know it can get away with a centerstand because it was designed to have one
Triumph designed in mounting holes for a center stand. Let's hope they put them in the right place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts