Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good point. This is the direction things are going, isn't it. Believe me, I want to understand tuning this way, but right now it's like a foreign language to me.

Studies show children well suited to learn languages. I'm too old for this $hit, and I know my limits! :)
I have tuned many of Mustangs using the PMS piggyback system in the past, which has afforded me dyno time and tuning strategies. So at least I had a clue as to how to go about tweaking.

I also had to comb through countless threads, sift through loads of rubbish to acquire just a few shared scraps of reliable advice for a better understanding of which way I wanted to go for my tweaked #11 using tuneecu.

Then there was the trial and error tuning, documenting the changes, evaluating the data and ensuring my work was headed in the right direction for more mpg under light load. A lot of hours goes into tweaking, allowing for adaptation and then just monitoring before making additional changes. Then there's the 10 pack of plugs I purchased to monitor it on the combustion side. Plenty of hours went into learning to really read plugs. All of this just to monitor my 10% and under stoi drivability, I can't imagine what any of the other tuners had into their pioneer tunes going through the whole range of operation.

With carbs, a few tweaks and in a few hours you've got it dialed in, at least for the atmosphere on that given day.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
It appears all the folks involved in this thread are proud owners of a Bonnie, I have a Thruxton and have the same issue.

I came across reviews of G2's Street Tamer Throttle Tube and they sound really promising. They offer a Thrux & Scram model, I think the T100 is similar to the Thrux but you'd certainly want to check with them. It uses a cam to alter the cable pull.

http://www.g2ergo.com/street-bike-g...e-tubes-street/g2-tamer-throttle-tubes-1.html

Has anyone here used one of these or heard any first-hand reviews?

·
Registered
390 Posts
As an owner of a 09 T100, I sure wouldn't want to let it idle for 20 minutes until the fan comes on (what fan?), and then let it go for another 30 minutes. No doubt it would adapt, probably into a mass of melted rings and pistons!

My throttle was twitchy, too, but I just kept riding it. Figured it was part of the retro bit. Definitely adapts as it isn't twitchy at all any more with 13000 miles on it. Seems to have learned my heavy right hand riding style and seems to really enjoy it.

Karl

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 2010 Thruxton also had the snatchy throttle problem when new. Like others, I initially compensated with the clutch until I got it cleared up.

At one item at a time, about every 3 months, I swapped out the exhaust to an Arrows 2 into 2, removed the AI, did the airbox mod, remapped, while putting miles on it, the problem progressively disappeared completely.

I got so used to compensating with the clutch that I am not exactly sure when the problem went away, I just noticed how much more I was enjoying the ride because the bike was running so well. When I retire, my Buell might just get sold, and the Thruxton becomes my only ride, .... I can't give a higher compliment because my Buell is a fine bike!

Now I have the power that I initially wanted, ( but did not have ), and a smooth throttle response to go with it.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Thank you!

Jkmolt & Eicas, thank you for your posts, it gives me peace of mind that the issue will either work itself out or can be coaxed out with mods...

Patience, right?!?!? :eek:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I recently posted this idea on another thread, but it really seems to me that when I ride, the snatchy throttle goes away after the bike warms up. In other words, the snatchy throttle seems to occur only when the engine is cold.

Anybody else??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Throttle tamer

I just installed a G2 throttle tamer yesterday in my 2010 Bonneville. Have only gone round the block a couple of times with it, but it seems to have done the trick.

Saw reviews that said it was everything from a wonder fix to garbage, so I was a little nervous. I had a lot of trouble with slow speeds over trolley tracks and things like that...made for a very jerky ride. No doubt it was more me than the bike, but still.

I even expected the G2 throttle to make acceleration seem a bit weak when starting out, but it feels absolutely fine. The only thing missing is that old snatchy feeling.

The old throttle tube was crappy plastic too, if that matters to anyone, as the G2 is aluminum.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I just installed a G2 throttle tamer yesterday in my 2010 Bonneville. Have only gone round the block a couple of times with it, but it seems to have done the trick.

Saw reviews that said it was everything from a wonder fix to garbage, so I was a little nervous. I had a lot of trouble with slow speeds over trolley tracks and things like that...made for a very jerky ride. No doubt it was more me than the bike, but still.

I even expected the G2 throttle to make acceleration seem a bit weak when starting out, but it feels absolutely fine. The only thing missing is that old snatchy feeling.

The old throttle tube was crappy plastic too, if that matters to anyone, as the G2 is aluminum.
That's good to hear, thanks for the review!

I'm still interested and considering it but I want to put some more miles on first and see how it is...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts